Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

conversations with god

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, May 31, 2003.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    anyone read it?

....thoughts if you did.

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've read the whole series - 6 books. I also went to a 2-day seminar with Neale Donald Walsh last year.

They really are wonderful, inspiring, incredible books. I keep going back to read them again.

How much have you read, Joe? What do you think?

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i also have all the books - i think? i read book one a while ago, and parts of the others. I just started re-reading the first one again. it's sinking in on a whole new level this time and changing my life.

there is nothing in that book that i find arguable. i've studied christianity, got into a course in miracles for a while (which i also agree with, but it was a little to esoteric for me), and opened the door to countless other spiritual beliefs. the things in cwg are resonating with me more than anything yet. feel like i'm embarking on a new journey.

i could say more as i read more. just barely into the 2nd chapter right now, but i'm using the workbook also, and i've been reading the questions and answers book.

the only peave i have at the moment is discussing the books, or trying to - with anyone who hasn't read them. i gotta stop that. i get lots of heckling. i'm amazed at how resistant people are to the idea that "god" would communicate with anyone.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I'm so glad to hear that these books are touching you just like they've touched me!

I don't find anything arguable in the books either. It all resonates with me, and has ever since I started reading them.

I too have found that when you read them again, new things sink in every time.

In case you're not sure if you have them all, here is the list:

Conversations With God Book 1
    Conversations With God Book 2
    Conversations With God Book 3
    Friendship With God
    Communion With God
    The New Revelations

There are other supplementary books, however these are the core dialogs.

You might wanna take a look at the cwg website, Joe - www.cwg.org - and sign up to the mailing list. Neale sends out email bulletins each week, in which he offers his thoughts on various current issues, as well as answering readers' questions.

And, I hear ya loud and clear on the whole thing of not being able to talk about it with people. I've tried to express ideas from it on TB before now, and with people I know, but I've always got a lot of heckling.

I hope that other TBers read this thread and check out these books as a result. They are wonderful, life-affirming, life-changing books. Everyone can benefit from them - regardless of what religion (if any) you are, or even if you don't believe in God. It doesn't matter. These books are for everyone.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    All that is. All that exists.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That is one of the few definitions I can consider accepting. By defining god in that way, its existence is a given, and there's nothing mystical or superstitious about it. Congratulations.

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Indeed, there needn't be anything mystical or superstitious about it.

Does this mean you're gonna read the book, Munji? :D

9. What annoys me is that when someone claims God talks to them Christians claim miracle, but when someone claims god made them kill someone they're insane.

10. God does not exists, or
    I am my own god

I'll let you choose.

11. jesus is just all right with me

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Yotts,
    I can see why that would annoy you. It used to annoy the heck out of me too. I did some reading though and found out why people think this.

In the bible it says Thou shall not tempt the lord thy god. It also says it when Jesus is being tempted to do things by the devil.

IMO/IME from playing with various chruches, many people believe that God wont tempt you or have you do something bad. But he will let Satin tempt you and try and get you (and to use your example) kill someone. The choice is yours, neither one makes you do it. Thats where the free will comes into play.

Im not gonna get into my personal beliefs, but this is the only logical answer I can come up with.

13. and in either case they'll be sure to wind up getting a crapload of pills stuffed into their face.

14. if i were to think about a higher power, i would like to take the Taoist approach, where you're not supposed to give a concrete definition, because in defining it, it is lost, because it is everywhere.
    but god and the tao are two different things. and i don't belive in god anyway, so i don't know what i'm talking about.

these books sound interesting. i don't know what it is, but it sounds interesting. anyone care to elaborate on the book itself? what's the deal?

15. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If I was inclined to believe, I would take a simmilar approach to theology. The only othe approach I've seen that makes any sense at all is the Benevolent Caretaker idea. In that God (in whatever function of facet you choose to believe or not believe), created the universe, and then left alone. No prayers, no miracles, no angels. Just creation and that's IT. Seems to me the only real way to go about believing in that sort of thing. If I was inclined to have faith.

17. I can think of no higher power than Mother Nature. I don't believe there's anyone 'behind' it though, just nature.

cassanova: a quote from the bible, whatever it's trying to show, holds absolutely no water with me. Hey, I have to be consistent.

18. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ok, here's the deal...

It's a dialog between the author - Neale Donald Walsh, and "God" (a real one, this is not fiction).

It started in 1992. At that point, Neale was depressed, he'd lost his job, and his wife and family - and he felt he'd hit rock bottom. One sleepless night, he got up in the middle of the night, and decided to write an angry letter. You know how many people use this as a way to vent? Writing an angry letter to whoever it is, not even with the intention of posting it.

Well, he'd been in the habit of doing this for years. Only this time, he decided to write an angry letter to God. "Why won't my life work?" etc etc. After he'd finished writing the letter, he was about to put his pen down, here's what happened in, in his words:

So there ya go. That's how it started. And it carried on, and still carries on today, 11 years later. As the dialog continued, he asked questions about everything, about life, the meaning thereof, death, love, relationships, reincarnation, psychic abilities, aliens... and he got answers. It became clear that the dialog was to become a book, or more specifically, a trilogy. When the trilogy was complete, the dialog continued, and it became apparent that there was still more to come. Two more books, Friendship With God and Comminuion With God. The most recent book, "The New Revelations" is more dialog, and addresses specifically steps we need to take to turn the world around, and recreate it as we wish to see it, it also talks about the 9/11 attacks.

This whole premise may not seem very believable. That doesn't matter. If you don't believe in God, or you don't believe it's possible that Neale could have received communication from "God" - it doesn't matter. Just suspend disbelief, and allow yourself to read the dialog.

The answers he recieved are incredible.

19. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    So why shouldn't "God" be the same thing as Mother Nature?

20. Because I don't believe there's an intelligence behind it.