1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Conversion of EB3 to EB6

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by CnB77, Jan 2, 2012.

1. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    A few people here got together and did a mini-group buy of some flawed Epiphone EB3s from eBay. My plan is to convert mine to a 6 string bass like the rare Gibson EB6, with some twists.

However, before I get to the twists (which are mostly electronic) I want to be able to get it strung up and make sure it actually works.

So here's what I need for phase 1:
    1. Nut
    2. Tuners
    3. Bridge
    I suppose for the nut I should get a blank Tusq nut and cut my own. Does anybody have a good link to how to space the strings?
    Normal guitar tuners may work, as on the Bronco VI builds, but I think the headstock on the EB3 is too thick to let them through. Should I try to install 6 bass tuners, or something else?
    I'm at a loss for what bridge to use. Any suggestions there, and on how to place it on the body, would be great.

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    If you've never cut a nut before, buy a couple, you'll probably need to practice. There are stickies in the setup and repair forum that will guide you. Regarding the tuners, you'll need to know the exact thickness of the headstock before you choose tuners that will fit, make sure your measurements are accurate. Regarding the bridge, you'll have to figure out the height you need to pass over the fretboard correctly and then buy a bridge that meets those parameters - it will be high knowing those basses. Good luck...

3. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Thanks, I guess I can't do terribly much until I have the bass in my hands

4. bradd

bradd Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    You do realize that the EB6 is a 30.5" scale and an Epi EB3 is 34"?

5. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Welp, I assumed it was short scale like an EB0. I could have sworn there was a short version and a long version. Alright then, I guess I'll be making it into something else XD

Ah, OK, I was thinking of the Gibson models, where the EB3 is short and the EB3L is long.

6. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    OK, I think my plan is still workable with the longer scale. The Labella strings I was going to use have gauges: .026 .035 .044 .055 .075 .095
    I can get a set in 34 in scale from Circle K in similar gauges. The only huge difference now is the nut size, which might be an advantage on this bass. Not sure how that may affect the bridge I need though.

7. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Banned

Sep 18, 2007
    Duuuuude, I wasn't aware I was bidding against a group of fellow tb'ers. I lost by like $.30! Haha I was gonna use em in a Gibson tribute art piece so I guess its better they're getting rebuilt for play.
    Anyway, count me very interested as I've wanted to do this a number of times, never consider getting the longer scale from circle k though. From experience with all my VIs, 34" could be rather fun! Details!!!