Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by soulsshesaid, Jan 20, 2006.

1. does anyone know if it is possible to convert an electric guitar into a bass guitar?

i have a friend who just gave me a cheap squire electric guitar for free...

i was wondering whether its possible and if so...what is required?

because ive been informed that technically all id need to do is change the strings from guitars to bass...and sort out the head and neck

the reason i ask is because right now im broke and cant afford to buy a new bass

thanks for your time

2. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    It'd be a lot tougher than what you explained.

First, if that guitar has a tremolo instead of a regular bridge, there's practically no way of doing it.

Second, if it is a fixed bridge, you'd have to figure on getting a short scale bass neck, and figure out where your bridge would sit on the body. You'd also have to route out the neck pocket for the neck to fit, which might not be enough wood for the neck anyway. I think it's way too much work, and you'd end up spending more money in replacement parts (new neck, pickups and electronics, not to mention the cost of labor) than you would in buying a decent beginner bass.

Why don't you sell the guitar on Ebay, get some money, and put it towards getting a decent Essex bass from Rondo music? They're really quality for the cheap price according to most people on here.
  3. thanks kronos...

good idea...although im not sure the thing would get much money on ebay...

it really is quite the piece of work...

but thanks for the advice...ill have a look on that site :)

cheers mate
  4. you could just put really thick strings on it. Mabeye use a b string for an e, and e for an a, etc. just think of it as a REALLY short scale bass:bag: :bag: :bag: :bag:
  5. You'll also probably have to consider that the pickups are totally wrong, unless you use guitart strings and some really, really funky string spacings (or make a B to C 6 string). If you didn't want to change the neck, you could potentially pull the frets and go fretless, wouldn't be too hard, but then there's the issue of tuners, and also of the bridge not being narrow enough to get all the strings over the fingerbaord.

Basically, you'd probably be into the thing for more than it's worth before you got something near useable. I'd reccomend that you sell it for however much you can get on or something free like that, and then buy an SX from, trick it out a little bit, and then sell it later on so that you can combine that with some of your savings and move up to the next notch. Lather, rinse, repeat as needed.