Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Convert a Jazz to a Precision?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wwittman, Sep 14, 2004.

1. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Okay.
    Perhaps it's been covered here before, but I have a Geddy Lee reissue Jazz that I'm not all that pleased with sonically.

Is there anything i should know if i'm considering having it converted (routed) to a P pick-up? (or perhaps keeping the bridge for a P-J option)

thanks

2. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I've sold those basses before, so I know what you mean about the sound. It definitely does not sound like Geddy's axe. I wouldn't try putting pbass pic ups into it, but would instead opt for some bartolini replacement pickups. If you like the feel of a p neck, but like the jazz pick up placement, then go check out Jaco's Modern Electric Bass video. He's playing a jazz body with a maple precision neck, and the sound is excellent.

Also, consider strings and setup before butchering some wood. I happen to know that flatwounds make that bass chunky and funky.

3. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    I've already put Duncan 1/4 pounders in it and it still sounds poopy.
    AND this is with Pyramid flats.

Actually it's the opposite of the Jaco thing you describe... i like the feel of the Geddy neck but i want the sound of a Precision.

4. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Why don't you put the Geddy neck on a P body? My brother has a '73 P-Bass that has a J-neck (it says Precision on the headstock, but that's no P-neck; it's the nicest bass I've ever played, and it sounds GREAT) - it was a rare mistake, and only five or so of those basses were made. They guy he bought it from had to get rid of it because he already had one (that was his wife's reasoning).

5. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I would say then that you should sell it and go buy a cheaper precision model, like the Mike Dirnt signature.

6. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    I was wondering, actually, about the Dirnt bass.
    Played one? Heard one?

I wonder because when I bought the Geddy, i also tried the Hoppus basses and, god, they felt AWFUL.
    And seemed very cheaply made.

I admit i tend to worry about these $500-ish Fenders.