Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

convert bridge to through body ??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gintaras, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    i am fixing up a fender precision squier 5 string. I am just finishing off the electronics with Bartolini's new pots and shielding. I want to try a through body bridge but do not want to spend $125 for a bridge. I read that the bridge is considered quite substantial and that it is not stamped but die cast?
    was looking at a picture of hipshot and all I see is beveled holes for the strings to go through. Is it just drilling holes in the bridge. I have background as a machinist and a use of a shop and there resources of there people.

2. For modifying the bridge...i'd say that yes...drilling holes is all that is required...but beware...string through bridges are typically wider (end-to-end, not side-to-side) than conventional bridges, to help with break angle of the string...so put your holes as close to the rear of the bridge as possible...

also, you'll need to drill holes through your body and insert string ferrules.

IMO...I don't see much of a benefit between string-through and conventional bridges.

3. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    There seems to be some debate wether string through will help with the tension of the 'B' string?? This is a 34" scale bass and my thoughts were to improve 'B' tension. Some people says it helps and I have also read some threads that it does nothing at all!

I believe that there is enough mass in the bridge to do this but my jury is still out on this part of the project