Convert Carvin LB76F to XB75F?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SherpaKahn, Dec 30, 2017.

1. SherpaKahn

SherpaKahn

Dec 1, 2005
    Bronx, NYC
    Recently picked up a nice 90's LB76F off a member here...Having traded a 34" 4-string fretless for this 34" 6-stringer, I've grown frustrated with the limited pickup replacement options for the existing cavities (two 4-string Jazz "long"/bridge-pickup-sized routs), as well as the Wilkinson bridge (early 90's)...Ripped out the active electronics a while back in lieu of a simple buffer....

The bass plays well enough, but the bridge + pickup + labor investment is considerable enough that I'd entertain the idea of removing a string (and attendant re-spacing) + stretching out the scale length to 35" in the process. It's a very different neck, but there was nothing quite like playing a Peavey Cirrus, and a new bridge would likely require new holes in any case.

...It's an unlined fretless, so it would only need new side-markers (and muscle memory). Am I forgetting some obvious reason that I should not give this a try??

...addendum: My instincts tell me that this is not a particularly rigid neck (single-truss, one-piece low-profile maple neck-through/ebony board). I'd have to check the math, but I figure the tension relieved by removal of a string should compensate for the additional tension of 5 strings at 35" vs. [email protected]".

As to resale value....it's a Carvin, and I place a different value system on my instruments

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    As a side note , Babicz bridges are a good replacement because they have almost the same footprint as the Wilkinson’s.

SherpaKahn likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I owned two LB76 basses from that era (one stolen and then replaced by another).

First off, the necks were never unstable. I played mine in Eastern NC which goes from 100 degrees with 120% humidity to 20 degrees and ice storms.

I say go for it.

SherpaKahn likes this.
  4. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    I don't think you'd have any issues with the neck, as far as strength and stability. And switching from 6 strings to 5 strings shouldn't be a big deal, as long as you make a new nut, switch the bridge and the pickups. And you'll have an extra hole in the headstock, for hanging it up.

The problem will be switching scale length. The bridge will have to be moved back a full inch. Is there enough space on the body to do that? By eyeball, at 35", the bridge will be just hanging over the radiused back edge.

You could always make it 34 3/4" scale. Since you are going to have to change the side dots anyway, you can make it whatever scale length you want.

SherpaKahn likes this.
  5. SherpaKahn

SherpaKahn

Dec 1, 2005
    Bronx, NYC
    Hiya all. Thanks for the feedback. I gave a quick visual check, and although of 90's vintage,[the bridge location of] my LB76F jives with this juxtaposition from the Carvin website. I think the two basses are made from the same CNC datafile; production cost management FTW.

107461b.jpg

117175b.jpg edit:

...Or at least, the "wide-neck" version of the XB75F would be the same CNC object as the LB76F

6. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yeah, I don't know if Carvin actually used the same exact size body wings (the outer portions of the body) on all the 5's and 6's. They look very close. Of course, the center neck lamination and spine are wider on the 6's.

Also note that the LB75 is 24 frets, while the LB76 is 22 frets. The position of where the wings are glued onto the spine is different.

You'll just have to measure and see if you can move the bridge back a full inch on yours.

7. SherpaKahn

SherpaKahn

Dec 1, 2005
    Bronx, NYC
    The actual bass up for consideration : [ TRADED - Carvin LB76F Unlined Fretless - Trade for Unlined 4 or 5 Fretless or Road Worn Jazz, Others ]

...It seems there's space for an extra inch, especially because the amount of wiggle room is affected by choice of replacement bridge (specifically the distance between the intonated saddles' witness points and the axial extreme of the bridge + mounting holes). Thankfully the bevel at the end of the body is quite small.

Relative to the new scale, the pickup locations would be slightly closer towards the neck position than the usual ratios. Whatever: more fatness....Thinking of throwing in EMG45-sized blade-pole soapbars

img_5379-jpg.jpg

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021