convert fretted bass to fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matito, Jan 26, 2006.

1. i have a MIM jazz bass i wanna convert to fretless
    is it hard to do? can i do it myself
    or does anyone in melbourne, australia know where i can get it done

2. Jaco did it at least twice. Pliers and wood filler. :smug:

If you are feeling brave, go for it!
  3. Just to warn you, I did it to a bass a few years back - popped the frets with a butter knife and filled the slots with wood filler. It worked ok, but I later put on a replacement neck (Warmoth?) which was much, much better. I know that MIMs aren't that expensive but you might want to just replace the neck instead of popping your frets so you don't wreck the original neck, in case you want to sell it or use it again later.

Good luck!
  4. ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Do a search. there are whole threads telling you exactly how to do this. Tons of advice is already on the website. You just have to look in the other forums.
  5. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    If you do it, I suggest you consider buying actual fret pullers from StewMac. They're not expensive, and they'll yield much better results than knives, screwdrivers, pliers, or duct tape.

6. TBalls

Mar 18, 2005
    I agree 100%, and the fret slot cleaning tool is great too. I did this myself about 7 years ago to my old Aria AVB-40, and I would have wrecked the neck without it. One side note: If you're looking for a lined look with a cleaner finish try what I did. Go to you local harware superstore & pick up a couple of signs, like the cheap plastic "For Sale" & "Help Wanted Signs". If you mix it up, you should be able to find one that's the same width as your fret slots. Then you just epoxy them in, cut the excess & sand them down with a sanding block of the appropriate radius.
    It's not for the fainthearted, since the epoxy is solid as hell once it's set. Also, like agreatheight points out, if you're not 100% sure about it you might want to keep the original neck just in case.

Good Luck!
  7. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA