1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

convert jazz bass neck plate to FERRULES

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by digitalstudio, Jul 22, 2012.

1. digitalstudio

digitalstudio

Jun 28, 2012
    hi I want to convert jazz bass neck plate to FERRULES...what size do I need for jazz bass neck and where can I get them???
    Is this an easy install? aside from coutersinking the holes....

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    You will need a 15mm forstner bit, and a drill press. You also may need some slightly shorter neck screws.

3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
  4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    This would also be a good opportunity to install threaded inserts in your neck, and use stainless machine screws.

5. digitalstudio

digitalstudio

Jun 28, 2012
    Thanks guys appreciate it...will this work with just 4 bolts?? I have a modulus graphite neck with inserts already...but Ive read to make the neck more sturdy with FERRULES a 5th hole is drilled...although that would not apply to a graphite neck...Im hoping 4 is enough and will not damage or crack the body...Im kinda nervous about drilling into this really nice warmoth body

6. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    does your Modulus neck already have the 5th insert installed?

I'm not getting what you're implying by the use of ferrles making your neck "more sturdy".

on a Fender styled neck pocket (what Warmoth and many others utilize) there is no reason that 4 bolts won't work. a countless tens of thousands of basses ahve proven to be true, four wood screws is more than sufficient for securing (clamping) the neck into a properly sized neck pocket.

as for the technical aspect of installing (i.e. drilling) the ferrule recesses - do you own (or have acces to) a drill press? if not, and you want this to not look like a hack job when it's completed, I'd highly recommend you consider taking this to someone with a drill press who is also skilled with close tolerance work (what you need to center the ferrule recess the proper depth and aligned with the screw hole center axis). you will not only need to get the holes properly aligned, but you also need a consistent drill depth on each of the recesses

all the best,

R

7. digitalstudio

digitalstudio

Jun 28, 2012
    thank you that was really good information. I definitely want it to be a professional job. I would hack it up... I am not skilled on drill press...The FERRULES look much nicer then a metal plate...although Ive always had a back plate on my jazz basses...This build is so nice It deserves The FERRULES...
    Ill search for a pro to do it...
    Thanks