1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Convert P/J active bass to P passive?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mike19, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    I have an Ibanez SR300FM which has P and J pups with 2 band EQ. Control knobs are Vol, Blend and a stacked Bass/Treb.

I would like to modify this bass to get a vintage P Bass tone only - don't care about a range of tones.

I am thinking of having a pro do the following:
    > upgrade the Ibanez P pup - probably to Fender
    > leave the Ibanez J pup in, but disconnect it
    > change the electrics, pots, knobs, whatever, so that I end up with a passive bass with just 1 Vol knob and 1 Tone knob (like a standard Fender P Bass). I would leave the third knob (stacked bass/treb) unconnected.

Does this sound feasible? :confused:

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Of course it is. Your hardest part in it will be deciding which pickup. Just find a good tech who has done this kind of thing before, give him the pickup and tell him what you want.

You should end up with a decent sounding P bass. But if you want to go all out upgrade both the pre and pickup. But since you don't want a range of tones don't bother.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021