Convert reverse wind tuners to modern wind?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by frpax, Dec 15, 2016.

1. frpax

frpax

Dec 15, 2016
    Tempe, AZ
    Hi all,
    New to the forum and I did a search but didn't find anything.
    I have some reverse winding, cloverleaf style tuners on my J Bass. I mostly a guitarist, and these reverse winding ones are annoying. But, being the cheapskate that I am, I don't want to buy a whole set of tuners and was wondering if there was a way to just replace the key/shaft/worm gear part that actually determines which way they wind.
    Is this possible? Feasible? Cost efficient?
    Any help and/or advice is gladly welcomed.
    Thanks!

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    No, you can't convert them. It is because of the direction the bevel in the worm is cut. If you have a friend with a bass with similar tuners, but wind conventionally, compare the worms of each set of tuners and you will see what I mean.

3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Welcome to TB
    The gear has teeth that are angled to match the angle of the worm, so the gear has to be replaced at the same time. Just buy a new set and sell the old ones. You should be able to recover about half you cost. Maybe, if you are lucky someone here will see your post and offer a trade, but that may be a rules violation so don't count on it.

EDIT: Now that I think about it there may be a way. Are your tuners reversible? Probably so. You COULD reverse the tuner, and then mount it upside down. Instead of the tuner being above the peg, it would be between the peg and the fret board. That would reverse your key rotation. Your potential problem is there may not be enough headstock room for the 'E' tuner to mount upside down.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  4. frpax

frpax

Dec 15, 2016
    Tempe, AZ
    Thank you. I suspected I was oversimplifying it!

5. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Now that I think about it there may be a way. Are your tuners reversible? Probably so. You COULD reverse the tuner, and then mount it upside down. Instead of the tuner being above the peg, it would be between the peg and the fret board. That would reverse your key rotation. Your potential problem is there may not be enough headstock room for the 'E' tuner to mount upside down.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  6. frpax

frpax

Dec 15, 2016
    Tempe, AZ
    Well, here's a pic of the back of my headstock with tuners and you tell me if they are reversible!

48911A37-B8BC-4DB2-91C5-C08D4D394D6F_zpslidzfzq2.jpg

7. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    No it doesn't look like they are reversible to me. The worm gear appears to be the same diameter as the brackets that hold it. That means the key would need to slide out from the wood side of the plate. But there is a piece of the plate under the key that prevents it sliding out that way. Also it appears that the brackets are separate pieces that are clinched to the plate. Further complicating matters is the headstock on the right side of the picture doesn't have enough room to mount the tuner if it was spun 180 degrees. I think you really need new tuners.

8. frpax

frpax

Dec 15, 2016
    Tempe, AZ
    I figured that would end up being the way it would end up. But thank you for taking a look for me.

Maybe I'll just live with it and that's just the way the bass is. :cautious:

Remyd likes this.
  9. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    You'll get used to them. There's a 50/50 chance you will turn them the right direction when you grab one to tune, but if you happen to turn it the wrong way, there's not a lot of effort required to recover to from the error. You can wrap the string around the peg in the opposite direction, but the strings will be misalignment with the slots in the nut. I'd advise to just use them as they were designed.

10. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Pretty well a sure-fire recipe for fracturing the nut.

JLS likes this.
  11. frpax

frpax

Dec 15, 2016
    Tempe, AZ
    Yeah, that's not happening.

I'm gonna leave them as is.

12. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Definitely wasn't a serious recommendation, just one of the few things that I could think of that would allow reverse tuners to function like common tuners. The last line is my recommendation.

The old function tuners are actually more normal than we give them credit; clockwise tightens the string, counter clockwise loosens the string. It's these modern tuners that are reversed......

13. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I didn't believe for a minute that you were serious. I just didn't want anyone getting the wrong idea.

14. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Why doesn't anyone make a replacement set of tuners that would be drop in replacements, but not reverse like the originals? I'm betting they'd sell really well!

15. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
  16. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Those back plates are too small. I mean the original Fender tuner plate. Just have the gear go the opposite way. No drilling holes that way, plus the exact vintage look could be retained (even by looking at the back of the head stock).

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021