Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Convert to Piccolo Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mnadelin, Jun 6, 2003.

1. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Recently, I got my hands on a copy of Stanley Clarke's "Live at the Greek" album. While listening, I found out about the piccolo bass he uses. So I was thinking, I have this old low-level Ibanez that I started on and my younger sister messes around with sometimes. I hardly ever use it, so I'm more willing to try different stuff out on it. Anyway, would it be possible to purchase some piccolo bass strings and simply replace my current strings with the piccolo strings? If I did that, would the bass need any serious adjusting? If anyone has tried doing this, please feel free to let me know how your experience was and give me any tips.

Thanks in advance,
    Mark

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I have not done this myself, but I would imagine that you may need to get a new nut that is fitted for the correct string gauges. Also, you will probably need to adjust the neck, as there well now be more tension on it with the smaller gauge strings.

3. Changing to piccolo strings won't make a piccolo bass. Stanley's basses were usually short scale (32")to begin with but a piccolo would be somewhat smaller like perhaps 30". I don't know an exact figure for piccolo's. The strings are closer together and that allows some of the pyrotechnics you heard Mr. Clarke set off. At any rate, your Ibanez is a 34" scale and there's no way to change that shy of changing the neck. Even that would likely require a custom job made for the purpose.

4. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    All right, thanks for straightening that up, hambone. I don't think I'll mess around with it then.

5. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    piccolo bass: oxymoron.

6. Sinister

Sinister

Apr 27, 2003
    WV
    I have an old Univox hollowbody, a Beatle bass copy, that I got off of ebay for not much money... It's a thirty inch scale, quite short for a bass, the shortest I've seen.

If you wanted to do the piccolo thing, you could probly get a Beatle copy bass of some kind for pretty cheap, they are usually less than 34 inch scales, anywhere from 30 to 32 inch scales.
    If you dont want to do the hollowbody sound, check into Explorer basses of verious types, they are akward tho..
    I have an '85 Gibson Explorer that's a 32 inch scale, and the body type in general is so big, I'm betting other Explorer basses are short/medium scales too.
    Hope this rambling helps..

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Changing to piccolo strings will make a piccolo bass. A piccolo bass need not be a shorter scale than your average bass. Many times it will have a shorter scale, but not necessarily. The piccolo strings are made for a long scale bass. D'Addario and GHS are two companies that make such sets.

8. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    An example.

9. His reference to Stanley Clarke puts the topic squarely on short scale basses. It's news to me that scale length isn't a determining factor in calling a bass "piccolo". It seems to me that to keep things straight as far as the musical terminology goes that a piccolo bass's have to be smaller.

So who determined that the particular gauges in the D'Addario set from the link is "piccolo"? The largest string was .58". Does that mean that a string of .60" isn't "piccolo"? Or would that mean that our standard G strings are actually "piccolo" and the other larger ones are standard?

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Well, it appears that D'Addario determined that for their set.
    "EXL280 XL Piccolo Bass Regular/Long String Set".

What determines a piccolo instrument is the tuning, which is an octave above the standard tuning. Often times the instrument is smaller (such as with flutes), but that is not a requirement.

11. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    For what it's worth, BP did a thing on piccolos a while back and said that a 34" is fine to convert. Bunny Brunel uses a 34" pic.

12. Yeah, I went around and did some extra research on the word "piccolo" as it refers to basses. You are correct about it being an octave higher than a standard voiced bass. No reference to scale length or string gauge

But when you get down to it, how can this 4 string instrument - voiced the same as the lower 4 strings of a guitar - be considered a bass? All tradition aside, isn't that all you've got - a four string guitar? If it's pitch (not timbre) isn't different from a guitar how can it legitimately be called a bass?

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'm with you on that. The timbre derived from the different scale length and make-up of the instrument itself seems to be the only difference.

14. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I never really gave it that much thought, as my bass can get just as high as a 22 fret piccolo, and an octave and a half below it... :)