1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Converting 2x15 to 1x15 & 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nativetrash, Oct 25, 2013.

1. nativetrash

nativetrash

Nov 30, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I have an Ampeg 2x15 Fridge - same exact size / cabinet as the 8x10.

I play really gritty / trebley / dirty in my band and end up losing a lot of low end because of the different fuzz / overdrive / distortion pedals on my board.

My head is an Orange ad200 & I love it - it will always be my main head. I want to get a 2nd head to run with no effect at all and eq'd to put out a nice low end tone so I can mix my main signal with it.

I've done this before via two different cabs and it sounded great, but I was thinking, why not convert my 2x15 to have the 1x15 on the bottom and then mount 2x12" speakers in the top with a separate input and stack 2 heads on top of the amp and blend.

Does anyone have any suggestions, has anyone ever done anything like this? I'd like to get the cab modified before finding the 2nd head and wanted to make sure it would work / sound decent before starting.

Patrick

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    don't because it is loads of effort for an unpredictable result. If you don't like the sound of the cab you have, try another cab that can be returned if you don't like it, rather than destroy a perfectly good cab to make a frankenstein that has an over 90% chance of being less than the sum of its parts.

3. I suggest you leave your cab alone, and find one that meets your needs better.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Could be done but you'll actually lose even more lowend as you'd then have fewer speakers playing the lows.

Also the cab would be basically worthless, or worth very little if you ever did want to sell it.

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots but they are not for sale
    Or build a 1x15 and a seperate 2x12 make them both a similar size and both 8 ohms.

6. nativetrash

nativetrash

Nov 30, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I have an Orange 4x10 so I guess it's going to be "find a 15" cab for the 2nd head and just carry 2 cabs around

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'd use your whole 215 as is to play your cleaner lows, then put a guitar combo on top of it with it's bass turned down to play the gritty stuff. Turn the treble off on the 215's amp, blend the mids to taste.

8. Nope. I would recommend he find a single speaker that sounds good to him. And then add as many identical speakers as he needs volume.

If they are running from the same head, a 410 and a 115 are a bad pairing. Does your 410 have the sound you want on its own?

This is a better way to do it.

9. nativetrash

nativetrash

Nov 30, 2010
    Raleigh, NC

The Orange 4x10 has a good sound to it for the gritty dirty stuff but severely lacks in low end. I've been playing through the 2x15" lately because it has more low end but I like the actual sound of the Orange more.

A 15" cab would sound bad paired with a 4x10 even if it's running a completely different head?

10. If it is from a different head, with a different EQ it could work out well.

BUT just because it is a 15" speaker doesnt mean it will have more low end than a 410. Infact you have a better chance of having better low end from a 410 as they generally have more displacement.

I stick by my recommendation that finding a stand alone cab that gets you all your sound, and then getting as many as is required for the volume needed, is the way to go.

11. nativetrash

nativetrash

Nov 30, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I know the 2x15 has great low end and the orange 4x10 sounds great for my gritty sound - so essentially I may just find a head for the 2x15 and play the ad200 through the 4x10 and have a ******** of amps at shows and if it's a small show just use the 4x10 and try and figure out a way to boost my bass

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots but they are not for sale
    I built 6 speaker cabs all are 8 ohms ... 3 cabs are 2x10 cabs, 1 cabs is a 1x15 with a horn, 1 cab is a 1x15, and 1 cab is a 1x18. I have 3 ampeg bass heads. So I can run 1 head and 1 cab or any 2 cabs. If I need more I can run a 2nd and 3rd head as a slave and run all 6 cabs or just 4. I find a pair of 2x10 cabs works very good for gigging. The 1x15 without the horn is very good for rehearsal. A 2x10 with a 1x18 is good for gigging when I want a little more low end. I don't usually mix the 10s and 15s unless I run 1 head with 2x10s and 1 head with 2 1x15 cabs.

The whole system allows me play whisper quiet or screaming loud and everything in between.

I have been considering using 1 or 2 of the 2x10 cabs in conjunction with a medium sized powered sub for gigging.

98mg0002.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The mixing speakers thing isn't such taboo when you're running a clean/dirty rig with 2 amps, but you'd still likely blow a single 15 trying to get enough lows out of it to hang with the 410. The 215 might have a chance.

14. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

Jan 2, 2008
    I think this is the best bet, as it makes the best use of what you have. IF you want to run two amps/cabs.

Another option, to help keep your low end in tact, have you considered adding a blend pedal to your effects board? Something like this: http://xotic.us/effects/x_blender/

or this:
    http://www.one-control.com/mosquite-blender-with-bjf-buffer.html

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    In order to get your tone across at shows, they would have to give you 2 channels on the mixing board, a DI for the lows and a mic on your Orange cab. If they did that, you could trim the rig down to a single 15 or 212's on the lows and 210's on the dirt. If you don't have PA support, you'd likely still need the big cabs.

16. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Those full-size ampeg 215s are fairly rare, and I (for one) would hesitate to recommend modding one out of existence.

So, I recommend the following 100% reversible mods:

First up, you could make your alterations to the wiring and borrow another amp to test your approach.

Since you wouldn't be relying on it for your lows too, you can then set your AD200 for max snarl into the top speaker -- and it'll probably give you enough high end right there.

And you just might like the sound of distorted 15s better than 10s or 12s...

Eminence also makes a couple 15" speakers (the Big Ben, for instance) that are intended for guitar use and might have a brighter high end than the stock 15" in your cab.

If that didn't do it, you could always swap the top 15" for one with a coaxial HF driver to get that rattiness without permanently modding the cab/destroying resale.

If none of that worked, THEN consider having the cab modded.

But they'd have to cut out and replace the top half of the baffle, which would be MAJOR surgery.

How much would that modification cost compared to just getting a new cab made? Especially if you could get the cab decked out in Orange tolex to match your head?

Or maybe look for a cab from Peavey (1820), Fender (BXR), Crate, or Sonic that had a 15 or 18 under a pair of 10s...

17. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I want that cabinet! Dont mod it! :D

18. LowGrowl

LowGrowl

Jan 20, 2011
    Mexico City
    Mix The signal before your amp, don't change anything else. I've done that with a simple boss ls-2

Ray

19. I think he is getting some of his sound from the power section of the amp...

20. nativetrash

nativetrash

Nov 30, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I like the possible idea of separating the 15s in order to not ruin the cab. I'm just not sure a single 15 could handle the ad200 (the 15 in that cab at least).

I'm sort of set on getting a Sunn Beta Bass as a 2nd head so I can pull off running both into a single 15 since they both can run at 4 ohms. I just don't know how to judge if a speaker can handle the 200w ad200.

I'm looking into the possibility of just blending the signals until I get this figured out. I built a moosapotamous bass blender a few weeks ago and need to actually try it out.

Also - on a side note, I recently removed the tolex from the 2x15 and sanded the particle board smooth (took me approx 6-8 hours of sanding), stained it dark walnut, and put clear coat finish on it. The cab looks amazing now. I need to take some photos - I do not want to destroy the inside integrity of the cab so anything that isn't utilizing the speaker size already in it is out.