1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

converting 3 bolt to 4 bolt neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheNightLife, Apr 3, 2011.

1. hey guys i have a marcus miller jazz bass and i really want to convert the nect to a 4 bolt instead of a 3 bolt. i havent been able to find a standard neck plate that fits. all of the 4 bolt ones are wider then the 3 bolt plate. the holes don line up. any recommendations on where i can find the correct plate?

2. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Why?

3. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Why would you want to take a perfectly good 3-bolt neck attachment and then mess with it? Maybe I dont understand what you are trying to do.

4. the neck pocket is really weird with this bass. the pitch is always off and the neck actually pivots in the pocket. i really just want to make it solid so it cant move.

5. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Then put metal screw inserts into the neck and shim the side of the neck pocket.

6. put metal screw inserts in place of the 2 mounting screw holes?

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Japan as you found uses a different screw pattern on their 3-bolt, vs the US made ones.

But usually you can try a couple of things; most times the glossy finish makes it slip too easy. Try knocking down the gloss in the neck heel area. Also make sure there's no finish on the body part of the pocket.

8. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Also, a friction material like window screen will lock the two pieces together. But you should repair a loose pocket first. There is nothing wrong with the 3 bolt system.
    Rocky

9. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    you have 3 screws, not 2.... right?

yes, the inserts go into the neck and you use machine screws instead of wood screws. This allows for more torque on the screws without danger of stripping the wood out.

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

11. Does anyone know where I can get a neck plate that's correct for a marcus miller jazz to convert to a 4 bolt neck?

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021