Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Converting 6 to 5 string?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Mar 11, 2001.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Hey guys, I have a Dean Edge 6.. and I was thinking of a project to do with my friend.. converting the Dean Edge 6 in to a Dean Edge 5 :) but with a 5 string nut and 5 string bridge... I just have couple of questions..

#1) HOw do u take the nut out?

#2) What should I do about the tuners? Since we won't need the C string Tuner.. -_-;

Thanks for any help!! ^__________^

DM

2. The nut is really just sitting there with a little dab of glue to hold it there when you take the strings off. A very small flatblade screwdriver placed on the end of the nut, not quite at the join with the wood, and given a tap with a lightweight hammer should see it just pop out. A good luthier can plug the hole or holes and finish them off nicely, and redrill where you want the new ones to be. How good he can finish it depends on what your bass is. Are you going for a bridge with wider string spacing ?

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    yes basically ^_^;