Converting a combo to a cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fletch, Sep 6, 2005.

1. I've got an old 15" Sunn combo that at this point is just taking up space and am thinking about replacing the speaker and using it as a cab. What do you think? Any suggestions for a driver would be greatly appreciated. The dimensions are Height 31", Length 26",Depth 13 1/2". I want it to be 4 ohms.
    and not cost more than a brand new cab ;)
  2. You'll need to post the inside dimentions of the speaker enclosure and port dimentions (if any).
  3. As with most projects of this type, by the time you hack up the cab, then buy a new'd be better off selling the combo as it is, buying the wood, then building a cabinet from scratch exactly as you need it for the new driver.

The key here is the fact that you've said you're going to buy a new speaker anyways. So let's say you sell the combo for $75...plywood, corners, tolex, grill, handles, whatnot should still cost less than the $75 you'll make selling the (unbutchered) combo.
  4. Well I went ahead and did it anyway :D Didn't butcher it either. Totally unscientific but on a whim I bought the 1rst 4ohm 15" speaker I could find that was in my price range, an Eminence Kappa Pro 15LF 2. By my calculations the volume of my cab is 106.9 liters which seems to fit into the range for this speaker. Pulled the head and old speaker, dropped the new speaker in and fired it up. Guess what? It sounds GREAT!!! at least to my ears with my amp, Tube Works RT3300, and my guitar players SWR sm400s. Paired it with my SSB212 then tried it with his triad for about 5 hours of loud thumpin and I have to tell ya I'm quite pleased. Now I just have to figure out what to do about the gaping hole where the old head used to be. I'm thinking poor man's Airhead. Hooray for dumb luck :hyper:
  5. Good choice of driver. Your box is a nice size for it. I am only wondering if your box is ported or sealed. If you install 2 round ports that measure 4 x 4.25 you can get a very good low frequency extension with an F3 of about 45hz. You can shake the earth with that!
  6. It's vented. I leave it at our rehearsal space so I can't be exact but I'd say it's about 22" by 2". Definatly does the lows well and really compliments my budget 2x12. I've never really thought about it but 2x12 + 1x15 sure seems like a great combo to me.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I did this with a Fender BXR200 combo amp. I removed the amp section and installed a banana jack panel in the rear. I used the existing 4ohm 15" speaker. I'm going to change the speaker to an 8ohm at some point so I can use it in conjunction with my other cabs.