1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Converting a Lefty into a Righty

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tylerrasnakev2, Apr 16, 2010.

1. tylerrasnakev2

tylerrasnakev2

Apr 16, 2010
    How difficult would it be to convert a lefty bass into a right-handed one?

sjb62ct3tslh1. sjb75ctnat1left.

The left-handed SX's appear to have the old headstock, and there is a much better selection to choose from. Not to mention I think it could be neat to play bass all upside-down like.

Is it as simple as stringing it reversed, or will I have to replace the bridge/possible other components?

2. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Replace the nut.

Bridge should be fine after a good setup.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    All upside-down like? Just stand on your head.

4. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    take it from a lefty, playing upside down isnt much fun, controls get in the way.

5. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Plus strap locks, body balance and contours.

It's one thing to do this out of necessity, but looking for trouble seems a bit odd.

6. boogie8008

boogie8008

Nov 18, 2008
    Denver CO
    If you want the hendrix look just put on a lefty neck and switch the nut to a righty

7. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I think it's a sin, and possibly against the law.

8. Ned Starks Head

Ned Starks Head Yis, actually.

Sep 25, 2004
    Charlotte NC
    What ALL of these have said.
    It's not "neat", and you'll look like a dork.

No offense, Just sayin'.

Leave the few leftys available to the leftys.

...or better yet, yeah......yeah go do it. And when you realize it doesn't work, let me know. I'll give you the standard $80 going rate for a used SX....;)

9. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    :rollno:

10. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Hell I want to do it too, have for awhile. I already have a countour less righty bass and it isn't a problem. and controls don't get in the way. If you can't move your arm to another place to where they done, you need to train haha :D

Anyways, a badassII and ultralights might fix the problem.

11. Jon_West

Jon_West

Jan 8, 2009
    GTA, Ontario
    playing a bass upside down is horrible for so many reasons.

Just play a righty.

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Not at all practical with a bass like that. Body shape doesnt allow for it really cause your gonna be playing it from the bottom to top instead of other way aroun d for contours and controls. Your gonna have all the same problems leftys do when playing a right handed instrument like morningbeer allready said.

13. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Wire it straight to the jack. No controls, no problem. Oh and contours arn't that big of a deal.

14. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    the guy asked a simple question: "How difficult would it be to convert a lefty bass into a right-handed one?"
    and all you got to say is "it's stupid"/"you'll look like a dork" garbage??---

well, your absolutely RIGHT!!

some body shapes look more retarded flipped then others however if your worried what people think beyond the ultimate BASSPLAYING performance you can give on stage, then oh-well buy a lefty bass and call it a day, but the conversion is easy.

BTW, I'm a lefty and my righty Jackson Tbird (which they never made in a lefty version) has the greatest sound in the world to me compared to my lefty basses, so I play it flipped and inverted strings and I use it every time I can on stage BECAUSE of the tone and don't give a **** what people think when I see my monthly band paycheck..

rant over :)

and no, the knobs do NOT get in the way.

15. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    The guy from ZZ Top does it, why shouldn't you? Just reverse the nut, strings, and set it up the right (no pun intended) way.

16. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I saw a lefty 4001 strung righty. Played it for a little bit and while it had the typical things I don't like about Ricks I can't deny it looked cool as hell backwards.

17. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    This guy does alright with his:

18. Hi.

Define easy?

If the controls stay in the original position, extremely easy. If You want to move the controls, a bit more demanding.

^This.

If I ever make a F-style bass, it'll be an upside-down tele. It'll be a neck through though ;).

Regards
    Sam

19. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Why can't you just pull the lefty neck and install it on a righty body along with a righty nut? Seems like it would solve all your problems for the cost of 2 SX basses and leave you with a full bass of parts to sell.

20. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    lefty neck on a righty body? I took this pic and then swapped necks back a short time after ;)
    P1010307.