1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Converting a Neck Joint

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by McHack, Jun 1, 2004.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hello all,

I'm building a Warmoth/USACG parts bass, here's what I have so far...

Body - Warmoth Dinky J, made of Black Korina, routed for running the strings thru the body, PJ pick up config.

Neck - USA Custom Guitars Jazz Bass Neck, made of Wenge, w/ an Ebony Fingerboard, & a 2+2 tuner arrangement. I had to custom order the Wenge Neck blank & have it sent to Tommy.

We all know that these fender style body parts, were originally designed to have the neck mounted to the body, using the standard 4 screws, w/ a neck plate. However, I find these neck plates on the bottom side of the neck joint to be unsightly.

My Lakland 55-01, uses a slightly different method. Actually, its one I prefer. If you look at the back of a Lakland, you'll see they:

1) Don't use a mounting plate, they use counter sunk ferrules.
    2) A slight angle cut has been made to the body, where the neck mounts to the body, allowing easier access to the upper frets.
    3) Because of #2, the bolt/screw pattern has been changed. Including a 5th screw for added solidity of the neck/body union.

Is making these mods, really as easy as it would seem? From what I can see, all I need to do is:

1) Remove a slight wedge from the neck mounting pocket,
    2) map out two new holes,
    3) counter sinking all 5 holes....
    4) making sure the screws aren't too long...

It looks like the necks are scultped to fit the angle, I'm leary of attempting this sculpting. I'm curious, because I worried that using a ferrule mounting system, requires different spacing,,, thus requiring different holes.

Has anyone else converted a standard "plate" mount, to a ferrule mounting system, that could provide some insight into this????

2. Yes, I do it all the time. Most basses can be done without much problem. Fenders especially can have this done but the extra hole (from the production line) can be a bit unsightly. I've even seen some production basses that have ferrules that come very close to the edge of the neck pocket. It doesn't seem to matter as far as I can tell. About the only place you CAN'T put a screw is in the middle of the neck! :p

If you want a slightly smaller diameter ferrule type of thing, you can use stainless steel "cup" washers - also called finishing washers. Used with oval head screws, it makes a nice finished look.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ok, thx Hambone... Where do you get your ferrules & neck screws from? I notice they've got some in the StewMac catalog. Have you used these? If so, were there any problems with them?

4. The ferrules I get from StewMac. The finish washers come from decent hardware stores.

I don't use the wood screws, I use steel inserts and stainless steel 10-24 oval head machine screws.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ok,

I've bounced around about this, a WHOLE lot. I've gone ahead & decided to let Warmoth put a translucent finish on my black korina body. Royal Blue... But, that puts the hole neck conversion issue on hold, until I do my next. Reasoning is, I'd rather not invite issues until I get one of these under my belt.

On to the real issue of what I'm posting about... Warmoth has kind of a limited selection of bass bridges to choose from. What I WANT is, a Hipshot A type bridge... However, they don't carry hipshot products, & as such, they wouldn't rout the holes for it... BUT, I'm planning on using a string thru type bridge, but all Warmoth carries is a Gotoh 206.

SO, I went ahead & had them rout it for a Gotoh 206, including the string thru holes, in the body.

Here's my dilemma... I'm going to receive a finished body, that has the mounting holes, AND string thru holes, drilled for a Gotoh 206. I don't really care so much, about the mounting holes, BUT, I NEED to know if the string thru holes will mate up w/ the placement of the holes for a Hipshot A-type bridge...