1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

converting a p bass to 12 strings

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by STROMERO, Jan 6, 2018.

1. STROMERO

STROMERO

Sep 12, 2016
    has anyone made their own 12 string by converting a 4 string? would it be as simple as buying a 12 string neck from Warmoth, and a 12 string bridge and slapping them on a p-bass body? surely, it cant be that easy.....

2. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Of all the basses that this could be done to, you selected a P-bass. Please post a video clip of this after you'll be done...

3. I would consider a pickup that is a soap bar style (like a P4 humbucker) and not individual pole pieces.

Axstar and rwkeating like this.
  4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

They don’t make a 12 string bass neck, so no it isn't that easy.

5. IF, they made one, then yes, a bridge and a neck change would get close. However, in reality, building a new neck is the only way forward. A few guy here have built 8 strings. That was a mission. A 12 string is next level on that. You need a very stiff neck, some way to avoid terrible neck dive from all those tuners and preferably some way to get separation from the treble and bass sounds. Ie. a stereo setup like Rickenbackers. So one pickup is probably pretty limiting.

6. STROMERO

STROMERO

Sep 12, 2016
    I'm kind of glad the 12 string neck isn't readily available.....I think id be biting off more than I can chew

reverendrally likes this.
  7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I just made a frankensteined 8 string bass

upload_2018-1-7_22-7-57.

upload_2018-1-7_22-8-6.

upload_2018-1-7_22-8-14.

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  8. L. L. Elwood

L. L. Elwood