1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Converting a P/J to P/MM

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Robin UK, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Robin UK

Robin UK

Feb 1, 2007
    Hi, i'm thinking of getting a Vintage V950 5 string because i want a cheap Bass to convert to P/MM configuration with a nice body. Would this work? i don't know the exact dimensions of the J pickup on this bass yet, but generally the MM pickups are the same rough width with about 2.5 times the height. Would it therefore be possible to route an MM pickups in a conventional MM position on this bass?

th_v950b_05.

Also, as a side note, what are the differences between the bartolini MM5C & MV5C/72 pickups?

Thanks

Robin

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    judging by that picture, the P pickup is so far back that it's almost in the zone where the MM is supposed to go.

i suppose you could still jam the MM in there, but that far back, and right against the other pickup like that, i doubt it would sound that good.

3. Look at the spacing of the Fender Deluxe American Precision. That bridge pup is about the same size as the MM.

4. Robin UK

Robin UK

Feb 1, 2007
    walter, are you saying that the P pup is in the wrong place? or is this just due to the small body size?

Thanks for the input

5. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    Guitar and bass parts resource has some side by side jazz humbuckers for about $28. I just installed a set in my Fernandes PB-1 Alembic copy. So far they sound amazing, everything from a MM tone to a Jazz. I have each pickup wired to be either Humbucking series, parallel or single coil with a on/on/on dpdt switch. I get everything from vintage to modern with the switch combo's. checkem out. Great growl and lots of lowend. www.guitarpartsresource.com

6. you have to get the delano MM and P pups...the fat poles would look sweeeeet! i wants me a pair!!!

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that bass has way more frets than a P bass, and the P pickup is mounted quite a bit further back (not "wrong", just a different design). like i said, it looks like it's actually close to the spot where the MM should go to get its best sound.

8. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    True, the P seems to be much closer to the bridge than usual. An MM would probably work good if you placed it close to the P, though, you'd still be in the right position range.

9. quee

quee

Jul 28, 2005
    Hi Robin
    I think you might be a bit disappointed with the result, as it will not sound like a musicman when faded to that pickup. If you really like how the bass sounds, then buy it as it is but if you don't, then try out some others until you find one.

10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    If you want a fatter bridge tone, I'd put a smaller soapbar there, either a Bart BC5 or MK size, or one of those double Jazz sized pickup like the one from www.guitarpartsresource.com previously mentioned.

It will fit better than trying to stick a MM in that space. The Bart BC size fits right over a Jazz pickup so you wont see the old rout. You wont be able to get the MM in the right spot so a slightly narrower pickup could be placed right where the jazz is and still sound fuller.

Here's a size comparison between a Jazz and the BC 4 and 5 cases.

cases.