1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Converting an Alien 4 string to a 5 string: possible?

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by ghendershot, Oct 19, 2013.

1. ghendershot

ghendershot

Feb 25, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Hi all,

I was wondering if I could collect some thoughts on the possibility of converting a 4 string Warwick Alien into a 5 string. I know they carry a 5 string and a 6 string version, but I bought the 4 string knowing I wanted to convert it, primarily because:

1. I wanted to retain the 32" scale
    2. Tighter string spacing
    3. I usually play tenor bass/piccolo bass(?), either strung E to C, or A to F

My main obstacles are finding a tailpiece and a nut to accommodate the 5 string, as well as drilling another hole on the headstock for the 5th string. Has anyone had experience doing these, or would anyone care to throw me some suggestions? Also, is it possible to remove the thumb rest? I've always floated my thumb, so I never use it.

Many thanks,
    Gavin

P.S. I love the acoustic sound of this thing. If I can successfully convert it into a 5 string, it'll pretty much be the only instrument I ever play. I'm 100% satisfied with it so far!

2. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Ghender,

Never heard of this, but I can try to help.

I am glad you like the Alien, it is def a great acoustic bass.
    If you'd like to remove the thumb rest, simply heat it gently to loosen the glue binding it, and remove carefully.

Also you can file the acoustic bridge, just like on most acoustic instruments, to accommodate string spacing preferences.

FYI We have a 32" scale 5 string Alien on sale at the NYC Showroom for a great deal, PM me if you want pics, and more info!

Best,

Mike
    Warwick USA

3. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    It might be cheaper and better to sell it and buy a 5er.