Converting Avatar 210 4 ohm to 8 ohm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by noelpaz, Mar 18, 2003.

1. I purchased a B210 recently from e-bay. No problems -- Excellent condition, but I made a mistake of not looking at the ohm rating. It is a 4 ohm cab and I needed an 8 ohm as an extension to my Eden CXC combo. I suppose I can only convert this cab to a 16 ohm (wired in series) I assume this cab has 2 8 ohm drivers. Is there a way to make this into an 8 ohm.

I do have a GK 200MB combo that needs an external 4 ohm load to utilize its 200 watt rating.
  2. The only way would be to replace the speakers. In other words: no, you can't :(
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

What Joris said.
    All you can do is use it as a1x10" 8 ohm cab, not exactly fancy. :(
  4. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    did you buy it new from Dave? If so, you may consider contacting him directly and seeing if he'd consider a speaker swap with you. He's a great may cost you some shipping but it might be worth a try?

good luck
  5. 1. run it at 4 ohms
    2. re-wire it in series and run it at 16 ohms
    3. dis-connect 1 of the speakers
    :meh: and run it a 8 ohms.

There really isn't any good way to make a 4 ohm cab with 2 speakers into a an 8 ohm cab without replacing the speakers.
  6. Thanks every one. I know that I do not have much of a choice. I only payed 125 and I am sure I can use it for the GK or sell it and I'll just have to get a 15,
  7. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Looking at GreyBeard's reply, and perhaps I'm out to lunch, but if you rewire it in series - making the load 16ohms. Couldn't you add an 8ohm 'resistor' in parrallel between the jack and first speaker in the series?

Or; would that make the load at the extension 12ohms?? At any rate, if you get where I'm going, try the math and you might be able to 'fake' out the extension...
    michael s.
  8. Well, if you put a 16Ohm resistor in parallel you'd get 8 Ohms. Unfortunately, the resistor would need to be able to dissipate half the power going into the cab. You'd need a big wire-wound thing and it would get HOT. You'd also be wasting half your power in the resistor. There's no point in doing this.
  9. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

Not to be a thread hijacker.....

I have an Avatar B210 8 ohm cab that I wasn't planning on selling until I saw this thread.

I recently picked up an SWR Goliath Jr 210 and while the Avatar in absolutely no way embarasses itself vs the SWR, I prefer the deeper voicing of the Goliath cab. The Avatar definitely sounds (to my ears, anyway) louder and cuts throuth the mix a bit better.

That being said, my Avatar is a first generation rear-ported model but it does have the newer full-face grill which I added after purchase. It sports the standard wear and tear on the carpet. No rips, but some shiny spots from pressure while being hauled around on a dolly (a NYC thing when you have to use the subway for lack of a car). Mechanically and electronically flawless.

I'd be looking for $140 plus shipping. Even better if you had a 1x12 cab to swap....
  10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep you're pretty much stuck unless you replace or re-cone the speakers and specify the impedance you're after.

I wouldn't bother with the 16 ohm idea unless you plan to use it with other 16 ohms cabs.
  11. Thank you all for your, inputs. This thing is still not useless. I play mainly small volumes -- but I know it should be loud with the GK MB200 Combo. I am still looking for a 15 to hook with eden CXC Combo.