1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Converting combo to head/ cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tragicmagic, Oct 16, 2002.

  1. Hi all,

    I've been thinking about converting my genz benz GBE 250C combo (1x12) into a separate head / cabinet, mostly because I don't have a car (NYC) and a bunch of the venues I'll be playing in already have a bass cabinet available. Getting a new amp head is cost prohibitive (and I love my GB).

    Does anyone know of a place where I can get a casing made to mount the chassis on to? Definitely want to keep the weight and cost as low as possible.

    I've already checked with Genz Benz... since they made a head version of the same amp. Unfortunately the line was discontinued they can't make a one-off of the casing.

  2. K-Frog


    Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I made my own , but I don't live in NYC.
    I have tools and a place to work.
    I have since put my combo back together.
    Maybe you could find someone on TB to make you one.
  3. I would build one myself if I had the tools and a workshop to do it in (sawdust flying everywhere + noisy powertools + tiny NYC apartment doesn't add up to a good idea.) Maybe if I could get the panels pre-cut and drilled... I'd just assemble the pieces and slide the chassis in.

    The tricky thing would be getting the mounting holes just right on the top, and having an opening cut on the side for the fan exhaust.

    any suggestions on materials to use and the best places to get them? Plywood comes to mind (maybe @ home depot), and some carpeting (don't know where to get the kind used for amps). or maybe aluminum?
  4. patrickj


    Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    If you can figure out the dimensions ahead of time, just draw them up (6 sides to a box) and take them to a Home Depot or Lowes and they will cut up the plywood for you (3/4", birch/luan/fir/whatever you like). A cordless/portable drill doesn't make much noise for an apartment. Or, you could invest in some quality clamps and a few bottles of Titebond wood glue..
  5. pathdoc2


    Oct 16, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I'd probably use 5/8 or 3/4 MDF. It is heavier than plywood but has a much nicer edge that can be rounded with a router. If I had the time I'd make it for you. I've made lots of cabs esp video arcade machines.
    This website displays some of my work.
  6. Thanks! I think that's what I may end up doing. still not sure how i'll carve out the hole for the fan exhaust... can't really do that with a powerdrill or a dremel mototool.

    Which kind of plywood is best for my purposes? I'd like it to be strong and durable (so that it won't warp or snap), yet as light as possible. Is 1/2" a decent thickness?

    any ideas where can i get carpet to cover it up?

  7. Hotblack

    Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

    May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    Check with the folk at Rogue Music (www.roguemusic.com). They might be able to recommend someone.

Share This Page