1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Converting empty Ampeg 4x12 V4 cab for bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lofreq64, Mar 2, 2008.

1. lofreq64

lofreq64 Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Sussex County NJ
    Greetings,

There is an Ampeg V4 guitar cab (empty) on my local craigslist. I've been toying with the idea of getting a 4x12 cabinet for awhile, and maybe this is a cheap way to go. I know little of cabinet design, and wonder if this particular box is sized, voiced, tuned to also be appropriate for bass. If it is, any suggestions on which speakers to use so the cab is 4 ohms? Ideally I would like to use my SVT head with it. I play rock, R&B, and funk.

If this is not a good way to go, can anyone recommend a 4x12 cabinet? I'm an Ampeg guy, but not opposed to other manufacturers.

Thanks in advance for the guidance. :D

2. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    A 4x12 guitar cabinet would be way too small to give good bass sound. If you are set on the 4x12 setup, have you considered this? It would be great with the SVT head.

3. lofreq64

lofreq64 Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Sussex County NJ
    Jazzman,

Yes, the Aggie is tops on the list. The reviews I've read are all very positive, so it seems like the way to go.

Anyone out there have experience with the Aguilar 412 and an early 70's SVT setup? Or any 412 cab mated with that head? I've got (all Ampeg SVT Classic series) a 1-15", 810, and a 410HLF cab and am curious how a 412 compares sonically in your experience.

4. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    What about the now discontinued Ampeg Classic 412? Maybe used.

One of my friends plays a old Ampeg 412 with his SVT top when he's not using the fridge. I guess that would be the V4 cab. It sounds really good!

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I think Marshall makes a very good 4X12 that was designed for use with the VBA400. That might be worth a look.

6. VBC412, apparently a really good cab, and if i had had money at the right time, i would have had one with the VBA400.

I have to agree with everyone elses sentiments tho, a 412 guitar cab isnt going to have enough volume. + you cant really just chuck speakers in any old box, well, you can, but it can sound like crud