Converting Fender Rumble Combo to stand alone cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Jun 5, 2019.

  1. Deano Destructo

    Deano Destructo Stingray & Serek addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

    Dec 10, 2000
    Southwest Texas
    Anyone aware if it’s possible somehow to do the above?

    Basically, I have a V3 Rumble 500 that I love. It’s perfect for the size gigs I play around town. I also have a Mesa Prodigy all tube head that I’d love to play just around the house at low volume.

    Unfortunately available real estate in my home doesn’t allow for a whole separate cabinet and due to the small gigs I’m playing I don’t need one all that much anyway.
    Therefore I’m looking to see if it’s possible to somehow bypass the built in amp within the combo so I can go back and forth between the two amps above.

  2. BassmanPaul

    BassmanPaul Inactive

    Can be done but will impact your resale value greatly.
    AstroSonic likes this.
  3. G-Dog

    G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

    Sure, it's possible, Deano! But, not only will the modification possibly impact your resale value (maybe increase it to the right buyer?) but, it will definitely void any remaining warranty!!

    So, if you must persist, see the Modifications section of the Rumble Club Wiki page and click on the link for the eric_B Mod. Most of that thread is about separating the amp & speaker in a Rumble 100 but, at the end someone else shows his separation on a Rumble 500.

    Good luck and happy trails!
  4. dralionux


    Feb 3, 2009
    Savannah, GA
  5. Deano Destructo

    Deano Destructo Stingray & Serek addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

    Dec 10, 2000
    Southwest Texas
    Thanks for the advice (& links), gang! :)
    I think my warranty is still active so maybe I'll hold off until it expires. Hate having to buy another cab when all I'd need would most likely be one. Although, while I'm in there I suppose I could switch out the speakers so it ran at the full 4ohms. Hmmmmm......
  6. BogeyBass

    BogeyBass Inactive

    Sep 14, 2010
    Real estate is easy to find.

    You just stack em man

    Just basically need to add a jack and wires to run the speaker and your up and running.

    If you added a female jack for the built in amp too. And female into the speaker.
    You could use as head and cab seperate. And run shorty cord to connect internal for combo use.
  7. jlepre


    Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I wouldn't bother, unless you have a head that's 2 ohm stable and plan to add another 4 ohm cab. If you're thinking you'll increase the sound from the 8 ohm setup currently, you might be disappointed in the outcome. JMHO
    BassmanPaul likes this.
  8. BassmanPaul

    BassmanPaul Inactive

    Utter waste of time. The difference in volume will be hardly noticeable!
    Deano Destructo likes this.
  9. Bodeanly


    Mar 20, 2015
    Just get a matching Rumble 210 cab and keep them stacked. Boom. Same amount of real estate.
    G-Dog likes this.