1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Converting Fender style headstock to 2+2 style....can it be done?...any experience?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mikeus, Sep 26, 2008.

1. there are many fine necks available to buy but i can not find any decent with 2+2 config. can a fender style 4 line be converted to 2+2 style? :bag:

thanks

Mike

2. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    Warmoth has various headstock designs.

3. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    What would be the reason? I actually prefer 4-in-line, STRONGLY, to 2x2. I know with 2x2 you can get rid of some headstock mass, but it's not worth the risk of failing to convert...

4. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Go Warmoth for a direct repalcement neck. It'd be too messy and too much of a hassle to convert it.

5. the reason? ive fallen in love with a black sadowsky metro 5but i really dislike the headstock shape. its at a good price so im willing to have it altered if i can.

6. If you are looking at a Sadowsky 5-string bass (4+1 headstock), then -- do you want to know if you can convert a 4+1 into a 3+2? Is that the question?

If so - what is it that you don't like about the h/s shape?

7. never been a fan of them, love the tone though. have always wanted to see a J style bass with a symetrical 2+2 or 3+2 (that isnt shaped like fender)

8. weeellll.... if you spend enough time trolling through 2d hand music shops and ebay listings, you'll see a nice variety of butchered and hacked-up headstocks. So tread carefully. This is not a DIY job unless you are quite experienced with woodworking and finishing (which I guess you are not, based on your post).

Anyway, the answer is -- yes, an experienced luthier or guitar repairman can do what you want, given a design that is mechanically sound, plus time and money.

But it will probably be ugly :)

Good luck & let us see what you come up with.

9. nice! yeah sorta like that. but im a no frills man, just plain all black will do ;) dont like the pups on that thing...:meh:

this is the used sadowsky im after...

CIMG5314.

10. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Send it back to sadowsky to get it modded?

11. Ofcourse it can, 2 x 2 and 3 x 2. Personally, I wouldn't touch a Sadowsky but that's me. I was going to go 3 x 2 on the first bass I made from scratch (needed to change the headstock to avoid issues) after I already made it 4 x 1. I didn't want to put in the additional work to modify the headstock at the time, so the change came later in a refined design.

12. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    But really, i wouldn't touch a Sad with a router.

13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    You could round off the Sadowsky point to make it more Fender-like without too much trouble, I think.

14. Don't think you can do that -- the tuners will be too crowded. It would have to be redesigned - sides and end trimmed; maybe glue on wings; dowel the holes; probably glue on a face veneer; redrill; etc.

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I realize you're free to do whatever you want, but is not liking the headstock worth the possibility of ruining a great bass? I'd learn to tolerate it and save your time and money.

16. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I wasn't addressing the 3+2 aspect, just the "don't like the Sad design" aspect. Without moving any tuners, you could round off the point to get a headstock somewhere between a P/J HS and a Tele HS. And you'd have only a small area of new bare wood to patch varnish on.

17. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    I wouldnt touch the original neck. Buy a new one or talk to somebody to make you one (its not gonna be cheap and he/she will need the body). In case the new neck don't look fine (I guess it wont) you can put back the original neck.

18. thanks for the replies :) does moses make necks that would fit a sado?

you guys would cringe if you know what im going to do the sonus special ive got my eyes on lol!...:D

19. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    You want to buy a sadowsky to put a moses neck on? Might as well go with a Zon...