Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Converting from Elixir to DR Black Beauties

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dirk Diggler, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Well I finally got a chance to try the DR's on one of my 6 string fretted basses. My initial findings are as follows:
    Pro's
    1) Not as slick (actually inbetween regular and Elixir)
    2) Much brighter starting tone (we'll see over time)
    3) They look interestingly different
    Con's
    None yet, other than it's strange looking at them while playing.

The reason for the switch is the D and G strings on the Elixir's have been breaking for no real reason, way before their time.
    The thing that has been bugging me is that the Elixir's just felt too dark out of the package, they stay consistant at that sound for a long time, which I like the concept of consitancy. However if the DR's stay like they are now, I'm a convert. I even like the fact the DR's don't have a taper B string, the feel and sound is huge.
    I'll add more to this thread as time goes by.
    Dirk

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    you should look into your saddles and or a set up if you keep breaking those strings.

tell me how the dr's work, i love the elixers.

3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I love the black beauties. They sound and feel great. The only bad thing is after a while the black coating starts to chip off. Not really an issue if you play mostly w/ your fingers. But using a pick chips away at the coating.

4. Hey folks,
    xshawnxearthx yes I thought that at first, but there is nothing wrong with the bridge. The Elixirs are more delicate than other strings, if you have ever had to unstring a bass with them and then re-string you get a lot of breakage. I do my own setups and have checked all the rollers and they are smooth.

And 43% burnt I had heard about that, but I'm 100% fingers. Also the Elixirs do flake off over time, so I know nothing is perfect.

I'm still very happy with these strings, I have another gig tonight so that should really put them through their paces.
    Dirk

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    IMHO, ive only had 5 elixir strings break in the past 3 plus years of using them. i play really hard on them, but i take care of them, clean them after every use, stretch them properly, etc etc.
    i in the ast have taken strings off, put new strings on the bass, and kept the old ones for a later day. i find after you have a dead set of elixirs and you take them off. let them set for a month, you can get a atleast another one-two times out of the old strings when you put them back on. works good ina jam.

all coated strings will flake if you use a pick, never try the black diamond coated. what a waste.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I still have to pick up a set of the DR's to try out on one of my 6ers. I have been using Elixirs and have been very interested in the DR's. (I used to use DR Nickle Lowriders and High Beams for a long time, so I have always been a fan of DR's)

7. Well as an update and a long weekend of playing. We played Sunday from 4 -8:30 outside in the burning sun, it was humid and about 90 degrees, and no wind at all. Usually with all the sweat regular strings would die and feel horrible, but the DR's stayed bright and fairly slick to the feel. I was very impressed by how well they held up, I am starting to see the black come off the strings on my right hand from popping on the D, G, and C string. It's interesting to see where I play most, each string is different. They are still brighter than the Elixirs for sure and have not faded yet, yay!
    Dirk

8. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    That's one of the cool things about the DR BBs, you can see the wear pattern on your strings. I'm surprised at some of the wear spots I have.

9. Although Elixirs are my ultimate favorites, the new DR strings (Black Beauties, Red Devils, etc.) are my second favorites. They have a sweet brand new sound, and they stay sounding brand new longer than usual (but not as long as Elixirs). They're also the only strings that I've used that actually made my bass have that growl sound! Then when they died, I found that I actually liked their dead tone. I mean, it wasn't great for slapping, but the fingerstyle dead sound was awesome.

What I didn't like about them was when the color started coming off. I never use picks, but trust me, after playing and practicing for a few weeks, you'll notice on the other side it all comes off. Just an asthetic problem, I don't think it affects the sound. Also, since I'm really into slap bass, the strings dying didn't make me very happy.

So if you can't afford the Elixirs, they're a great alternative.