Converting hollow body guitar to 4 string bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Jul 23, 2003.

1. coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I really like the Epiphone Jack Cassady and the Yamaha BEX basses. I however find faults in both especially the price. I have seen similar modifications before as far as a person taking a 6 string and fitting a bass neck with a bass bridge to create a custom bass. Would this be possible with semi hollow guitar like the yamaha aex? I'd most likely use yamaha bass neck (or maybe fender) and whatever bridge that will work. Are there kits available to build a hollow body that I could fit a bass neck and bridge to?
    Any suggestions or web site referals are welcome. [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I think it would cost as much, if not more,to do something like that than buy the real thing. :meh:
  3. coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I'd buy yhte stuff used. I've seen similar semi hollow bodied guitars go for less than a hundred on eBay. Bass necks seem to be up for sale quite often and they esp go for cheap if they don't say fender on them.
  4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No offense, but I think you'd be ruining a decent little guitar (I used to own one) to create what's likely to be a rather bad bass. There are a whole lot of technical problems you'd have to address, which I don't know if you've really thought through, and I can't see how it could conceivably be worth the effort that would be entailed.
  5. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002

what he said......
  6. coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Ok. That is why I asked. Besides the Yamaha and Epiphone does anyone else make a hollow body bass like this? I once saw an epiphone that wasn't a Jack Cassady like that anyone have any exp with it?
    Thanks for the info-sometimes I get ideas that turn out to be stupid but it never hurts to ask those who have more exp-I am a scientist.
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Nothing wrong with asking. I'm afraid I can't think of any others in what I think is your price range. (I'm assuming if you think the Epiphone and Yamaha are outside your budget, you won't want to consider $2,000+ instruments!) Gretsch makes some, but I think they're pricy. Lakland makes one, but it's pricy too. I'm sure there are others, but I doubt they'll be cheaper than the Yam or the Epi.
  8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    there is an awsome hollowbody bass at the dude pit for sale forum....

9. the bass player from minstry plays a gibson that is 5 to 6 inches deep,hollow body. has emg's and the body looks like aa les paul but the lower horn is shaper like othere guitars that gibson make. i been trying to figure out what maodle it is for so long. sorry got awqay from my point. i all ways see these cheap hollow body basses, in used store and ebay. u can turn the mutes on and off. ill try to find a pic/link.
  10. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Dean Guitars

I think Bass Player mag reviewed a hollow body ESP couple of years ago...
  11. yea, ESP has that Les Paul-like bass, and they have a semi-hollow model. The Dean one is friggin' nice, and for the prices, I've always been impressed with ESP's LTD basses.
  12. that might be a Gibson EB 750 (or an EB 650) Paul Barker mentioned it in an interview in Bassist.

the bassist from the Boo Radleys also played one of these.

a guitar body would be pretty difficult to convert - a support block would have to be put in to cope with the bridge being moved back.

DePinto do some cheaper Korean-made semi-acoustic basses.
  13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Try USA Custom - I'm pretty sure Tommy can do a hollow or semihollow LP body for you. For that matter, I bet Warmoth could, too.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Whats wrong with the Price of the Jack Casday bass, i do very well with mine.
  15. 12notes

Jul 15, 2003

Jay Turser makes a hollow bodied bass.