Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Converting MIDI file thingy's to CD-friendly files

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Steph Dawe, Nov 1, 2005.

1. I'm sorry the title of the thread is so vague, but I'm confused. And tired. And a girl. So, you know.

Part of my Musicianship course for Year 12 (senior year in high school) requires me to produce an arrangement, and I have to submit not only the written arrangement but an audio version of it as well. I've used Encore for my arrangement and have a MIDI file, but I need to convert it to something because my burner programme won't recognise MIDI files, and the CD needs to be able to work on a normal CD player.

It's due in for moderation on Wednesday, so I haven't got long. If I can't convert it, I'll just have to leave it, but it would be better if I could.

Anyway, if anyone's magic enough to be able to convert it...

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Do you use Windows?

If you use Windows Media Player to burn a CD, it should convert the file automatically when you opt to burn it.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Okay, firstly you must understand that MIDI is not audio. MIDI is data. If you inspect a .mid file you will see that it's very small (usually around 15-40kb), the reason for this is because the .mid file doesn't actually contain any audio signals, it contains DATA that is sent to the computers midi processing(Quicktime or whatever), which then applies notes, note values, instruments, meter, dynamics...etc.

So, with that in mind, you cannot simply burn a .mid to disc and hope it will play out of any stereo.

That said, most, if not all, midi playback programs have an option to export the midi file into a .wav or .aif

these two formats are audio, uncompressed(unlike .mp3 or .wma) and ready to be burnt to CD.

SO, whatever program it is that plays back the midi file for you, check the preferences there to see if it has such an option. If it does not, then I'm afraid I cannot help because I do not use windows an am unfamiliar as to what programs you might want to check out.

Once you have created an AUDIO file, your CD burning program will quickly and easily burn the file to a CD that will playback on any CD player.

edit: You can most likely use Encore to export the arrangement into .wav or .aif, bypassing the need to convert the .mid after the fact

4. If all else fails, play the MIDI file and take the audio out from the computer, and record it on a cassette tape. then play the cassette back into the computer and make a CD from it.

I don't know the program that you are using, but with some, like Cubase, you have to play the MIDI file track(s) and at the same time you record it as a new audio track. If you cannot find a way to export audio, that may be the reason.

5. Poo.

Not this one. I checked.

That's cool. I understand. :smug:

Not sure what you mean by that. But it doesn't matter, I'll find a way around it.

I have a dictaphone, but not a mic going into the computer.

Doesn't matter.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    If you send me the .mid I can convert it for you(into high quality instruments too!) drop me a line on AIM.

7. I just Googled Encore to see what you had. It is a MIDI only Score editor, so it does not have the facility to create an audio track on its own.

To summarise what has been said by others, your options are

a) Use some conversion software on your MIDI file, and burn a CD. From what you have said about what you know, this could be a high risk strategy, especially with a deadline coming up.

b) Play the MIDI file and let your soundcard convert it to audio. Capture that on tape and then rip a CD from it. A dictaphone uses a low tape speed, so even if you did find the right leads to connect it, you would still have a low quality recording. A friend's hifi tape deck, or mp3 player (if it has an audio-in socket) would give you better quality.

c) Email the file and have it converted and emailed back. A good solution if you are on broadband, but may be a problem if you are on a 56K phone line connection. The audio file will be quite big, and may take a while to download.

d) Another alternative that you can try is to see if your sound card will record to CD from its input socket (connect it to a personal CD player or something similar) at the same time as it is playing back your MIDI file. If it does, then you can connect you sound card output to its input, and feed the (MIDI converted to audio) signal back into the (rip this audio onto CD) program. You will probably need a 1/8 inch stereo jack to 1/8 inch stereo jack to make the connection.

8. Thanks for all your help, guys. I spoke to my teacher this morning about it (prior to reading the rest of the thread, mind) and he said he'd fix it at home. So that's kinda awesome.

But thanks again anyway - I know a lot more about MIDI stuff now. :D