Converting my cabinet to speakon?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-end, Jan 18, 2002.

1. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I have a Mesa/Boogie Road Ready 4x10 cabinet that has a 1/4" phone plug input on it. It doesn't have a speakon jack on it, and I would like to know if I could change the 1/4" one for a speakon.

Will I need to buy a new mounting plate for the speakon jack, or can I just stick it straight into the plate thats on there already? Ill give you guys some measurments for everything as soon as I get home and can measure my cabinet.
  2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The Speakon jack isn't going to fit in the 1/4" jack's hole, so either get another plate and modify it, or modify the plate that's on the cabinet.

There are several ways you could cut a large enough hole, but the simplest and cleanest would be with a chassis punch. The diameter of the body of the Speakon jack is 24 mm, so a 1" punch will do the job and give you a little less than a millimeter clearance all the way around. Then you'll also have to drill holes for the mounting screws, so just place the jack in the large hole and use it as a template to mark the locations.

Good luck!