Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Converting my cabinet to speakon?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-end, Jan 18, 2002.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I have a Mesa/Boogie Road Ready 4x10 cabinet that has a 1/4" phone plug input on it. It doesn't have a speakon jack on it, and I would like to know if I could change the 1/4" one for a speakon.

Will I need to buy a new mounting plate for the speakon jack, or can I just stick it straight into the plate thats on there already? Ill give you guys some measurments for everything as soon as I get home and can measure my cabinet.

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The Speakon jack isn't going to fit in the 1/4" jack's hole, so either get another plate and modify it, or modify the plate that's on the cabinet.

There are several ways you could cut a large enough hole, but the simplest and cleanest would be with a chassis punch. The diameter of the body of the Speakon jack is 24 mm, so a 1" punch will do the job and give you a little less than a millimeter clearance all the way around. Then you'll also have to drill holes for the mounting screws, so just place the jack in the large hole and use it as a template to mark the locations.

Good luck!