Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

converting old volume pedal into a wah pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by spidersbass, Sep 9, 2005.

1. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    is there any possible way to do that? and if there is, what exactly do i do? :confused: i have no use for a volume pedal since i'm most likely going to get my hands on a boost pedal, and wahs' kick friggin ass.

i've searched for this info already but the only thing that came up didn't really help much.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What kind of volume pedal is it?

3. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    pffft, i dont' even know man. i just opened it up and all there is is a pot (obviously a volume pot, right?) and 4 wires hooked on to it (2 wires from each jack, input and output).

is it something as easy as chaning the volume pot into a tone pot? thats the only idea i have going for me. and even then, i wouldn't know which wires to connect where. also adding in a DPDT switch and drilling in a hole and connecting some wires there?

thanks.

EDIT: there's no brand name on it anywhere, or any writing whatsoever. my guitarist gave it to me, said he didn't need it

4. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Changing the pot into a tone is really, really easy. You just have to add a capacitor and change the place of some wire. In my opinion, the best way to do this is that you have a look into your PASSIVE bass. The current pot is wired as your volume pot, you'll wire it as your tone pot.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How about some pics? Is tha tpossible? Changing it into a tone control would be much simpler than building a wah out of it. However, depending on the brand of pedal, the mechanism may be hard to get right with the pots.

6. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    my bad, i thought a wah pedal was just a tone control pedal, i want an actual WAH pedal. i dont' have any pics, sorry, but everything is wired just as i said earlier, and everything is really easy to get to. and there's no brand name on it, its just a scrap pedal i have no use for other than trying to make it into a wah pedal, so if i have to MAKE mechanisms fit, no problem, i've always been good with a hammer, hahah

7. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Ok, so... A wah is a complete electronic circuit. So technically, you won't really change your volume pedal in a wah, you'll rather build a wah, that you'll put into the volume pedal.

8. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    oh alright, i gotcha. so, anyone know of any good wah pedals i can make to put in this crap? i like Geezer Butlers sound on NIB, if that helps any. also the wah sound Timmy C. had back in the good 'ol Rage Against The Machine days.

this should be fun

9. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
  10. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.