Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

converting phenolic board to fretless

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by godoze, Jan 2, 2003.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    happy new year every one !

Have any of you ever converted a phenolic fingerboard to fretless ? if so , how much more labor intensive is it from doing a wooden board (not that I would do it myself...) ?

thanks,
    Don

2. We had a poster in Setup that did that several months ago. Seems that it went pretty well. I volunteered to do it for him but he was hellbent on doing it himself. If done with patience, I could see it being even a little easier than wood - no splintering or chipping. Filling wouldn't be a prob either. Black epoxy would be nearly invisible after sanding.

3. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Is a phenolic fingerboard made of phenowood? I'd like to defret a Zon and phenowood is what their fingerboards are made of. Is this possible?

4. I defretted mt Cort Curbow several months ago and it has an ebanol fingerboard, so i think that means me. The frets came out really easy after being heated with no chips. I used toenail clippers wich worked very well. I filled the slots with white epoky and coated the board with polyurethane.