Converting right hand bass to left hand

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by velosapien, Jun 8, 2004.

1. velosapien

Jun 8, 2004
    Hello - I have a right hand bass and want to restring it for a left handed player. Could you please tell me what is involved in converting the bass, and would converting a bass for a left handed player damage the neck, body etc of the bass. Am very new to this process so please feel free to assume I know nothing. Thank you in advance for your time.

2. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    It would basically entail restringing it for the proper orientation, getting a new nut to fit the new string placements, and... moving the top horn strap pin. Not sure where you would put it to balance it correctly, maybe behind where the neck meets the body?

This would get you the reversed headstock thing, ala Jimi.
  3. and just give it a general set up too i would say( bridge and truss rod adjustments)
  4. Chris.......

Depending on the saddles on the bridge you may need to get new ones. Example, Bad Ass II bridge saddles are slotted specifically for the guage of string you install, so reversing the string order could cause some resizing issues!

The others who have posted have pretty much covered all other issues I can think of.

I also found this site Left Hand Conversion Maybe this can be of some help?

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you!