1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Converting single J to double J pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tplyons, Jul 4, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The bass is an Ibanez SR400, P/J, picked up a vintage Dimarzio Model P and threw that in and sounds great. Looking at putting in one of those NOS Schaller Double J's on eBay in, with a coil tap so I can use a single J, or both pickups.

The question is, should I route so the second coil is in front of the original, between the P and previous J, or between the previous J and the bridge?

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I know on Carvin basses, if you get the optional bridge MM pickup, the coil closest to the bridge is right where the standard J pickup goes.

But on the bass in question, if I were doing it myself... hmm, I'd probably end up putting the second coil closer to the bridge. Maybe. Honestly I'd probably be torturing myself trying to decide. :oops:

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I guess it would depend on how close the original coil is to the bridge, if it's standard J or less I'd be inclined to route between the J and the P

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

the Ibe's I have don't have much space either direction of the J. Kind of moot but a J bass would probably be a better choice. In my experience with that Schaller pup and other J's is the only real advantage of the double is having a J that can stand alone - and the Schaller does need them both from what I recall - very Fender sounding pup. Some J's, like the DM Model J do fine by themselves. In fact the Model J sounds great by itself. But even at the bridge where it's most apparent, there's hardly a distinguishable variation in the tone of like pups cause I've stuck them side by side before. With the Schaller however, you could actually wire it like a P too (either direction as well) since all four coils can be isolated. If you put the Schaller in though you'll have solid pup under most of the playing area - significant to some players to others irrelevant.

From a sound perspective I'd speculate locating the back J in the standard J position would produce more useable results, especially with the Schaller since it's not that dark to begin with - although you could darken it with caps.