Converting single J to double J pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tplyons, Jul 4, 2005.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The bass is an Ibanez SR400, P/J, picked up a vintage Dimarzio Model P and threw that in and sounds great. Looking at putting in one of those NOS Schaller Double J's on eBay in, with a coil tap so I can use a single J, or both pickups.

The question is, should I route so the second coil is in front of the original, between the P and previous J, or between the previous J and the bridge?
  2. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I know on Carvin basses, if you get the optional bridge MM pickup, the coil closest to the bridge is right where the standard J pickup goes.

But on the bass in question, if I were doing it myself... hmm, I'd probably end up putting the second coil closer to the bridge. Maybe. Honestly I'd probably be torturing myself trying to decide. :oops:
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I guess it would depend on how close the original coil is to the bridge, if it's standard J or less I'd be inclined to route between the J and the P
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

the Ibe's I have don't have much space either direction of the J. Kind of moot but a J bass would probably be a better choice. In my experience with that Schaller pup and other J's is the only real advantage of the double is having a J that can stand alone - and the Schaller does need them both from what I recall - very Fender sounding pup. Some J's, like the DM Model J do fine by themselves. In fact the Model J sounds great by itself. But even at the bridge where it's most apparent, there's hardly a distinguishable variation in the tone of like pups cause I've stuck them side by side before. With the Schaller however, you could actually wire it like a P too (either direction as well) since all four coils can be isolated. If you put the Schaller in though you'll have solid pup under most of the playing area - significant to some players to others irrelevant.

From a sound perspective I'd speculate locating the back J in the standard J position would produce more useable results, especially with the Schaller since it's not that dark to begin with - although you could darken it with caps.