Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Converting stand alone head to rackmount.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deadworks, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    Odd question here. I have a Peavey Nitrobass head. Can you just take all of the innards out and slap it into a rack case? I'm looking at getting a tuner and preamp and instead of carting the head, rack case with tuner/pre amp etc in it I'd like one complete package.

Buy a rackmount power amp you say? Monetary constraints on that now as I'd like at least like to have a decent pre amp first as well as getting myself a 5 banger before looking at that since the head/cab I use now was a gift from friend. Free gear=best sound for the buck possible.

2. I have seen it done, but you will have to get a rack shelf and somehow mount the head unit to it.
    You also have to make sure that it has all of the cooling that it needs once in the rack.
    The other option is to get a black rack unit and actually mount the internal amp componenents into it and create a new faceplate for it. You will once again have to deal with the heat though.

3. jdagger

jdagger

Nov 21, 2004
    I was thinking of doing the same thing with an SWR WM 15 head. I could have mounted it top side easy except that the SWR dimension was greater than the 17.75 inside rack dimension. I wasn't willing to chop up the rack for it. In your case , I could see it working if you get the fit.

Aside from the cooling issue, do look at it from an electrical safety perspective as well. Make sure conductive "stuff" can't fall down in the electronics once exposed. Fully insure you don't create a shock hazard. I've been knocked in the head by home growns gone wrong and you don't want it happen to you or a band mate.

4. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Hah bumping this thread, I love the sound of the nitrobass, but I want it with the convenience of a rack mount. Want to know a safe easy way to do it.

5. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Bump again.

6. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    if you are handy, you could build an enclosure that would house your amp plus additional rack spaces. might be easier than the amp/rack mods required to get the nitro into a conventional rack. maby not though.

7. If you could get all the innards to fit, it would be "fairly" simple to swap out into something like this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/adam_hall_87408_gehaeuse_2he.htm

I dont know the dimmensions of the nitro (i remember its def smaller than the firebass), but if the face plate is less than 19" accross you could probably just mount the whole setup into a rack tray.