Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Converting Stingray5 to passive

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BenYBass, Oct 22, 2002.

1. BenYBass

BenYBass

Oct 7, 2002
    Toronto
    I am thinking about converting my Stingray5 to passive. What do I need to buy to make the conversion? Recently I found that I prefer the sound of passive bass more. I've never heard a passive Stingray5 and I have no idea how it would sound. Do you guys think it's a good idea to change it to passive?

2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    bump

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I would be hesitant to covert it to passive. The PU was designed from the beginning to be part of an active circuit.

Secondly, your EQ capability is going to suffer significantly. All you are going to get with a passive circuit is treble cut. You lose all of your EQ with the switch.

The fact that is is a fiver makes the preamp even more critical IMO. Those low frequencies suck gain big time. You'll lose much of your string balance as well.

If you want a passive bass, you should consider a bass designed to be passive. Why would you want to mess with one of the coolest basses available?

Chas

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I don't know if that is such a good idea swing... You will loose the usefullness of your on board preamp... You would probably need a new pickup and preamp.. a preamp capable of going active/passive... however, theres not alot of room to mess with in the stingray's cavity... so this may be difficult... I am no expert, and someone can probably tell you more about it than I can... but if you like your stingray, leave it the way it is... and maybe look at getting into an MTD kingston..

5. Just leave the preamp flat.

6. If you really want to make your Ray 5 passive, you'll need to get a few things. You'll need pots and capacitors (with that pickup, I recommend 500K pots) and some wires. I usually use Black wire for ground, and either red or white for hot. You'll need to unsolder the pickup wires from the preamp, and remove it from the bass. You'll need to install and rewire the pots to the pickup. Go to www.stewmac.com and look through their free wiring diagrams. The three way switch can still be used, if you want to run series and parallel. Whatever you decide to do, you'll need new pots.

You could just unsolder the pickup wires, and run them directly to the output jack, but them you won't have any way to adjust volume/ tone other than your amp.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Trade it for a G&L.