Converting VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chunk-O-Funk, Feb 6, 2006.

1. I have a number of VHS tapes I would like to preserve on to DVD. Has anyone used on of those devices to convert analog video to digital. I do have a DVD R/RW in my computer, but that's it. I believe my video card is out puts only.

Any recommendations?

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i just send it to walmart to do
  3. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    My boss has one of those devices which does that. I'm not sure how to use it, but once I start working for the summer i'm going to learn. I'd give you info on what kind it is, but i'm not sure.
  4. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    On a side note, I think buying one of those devices is worth it. Renting tapes from Blockbuster and converting them to DVD = saving lots of money!
  5. Do they really have such a service?

It might not work for me. Some of the tapes are old band footage which will need some editing plus I would like to be able to clean up the audio as well if possible.

Thanks, but it's not my intention to do that.

Hardly be worth it. No wide screen, no 5.1 surround.
  6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Cheaper and a whole lot easier is to just get a DVD Recorder and plug your VHS deck into it. Play and record. I've got a few at work and they do great, You can spend a bit more for one with a hard drive and record to the drive, then do some basic editing and burn it to disk.

Low end I'd go with the Panasonic DMR-ES20-K (a bit over $150)

Midrange I'd say the Toshiba RD-XS34 (160 gig HD, $370 or so)

Other than that my only recomendation is to stay away from JVC.