1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Convince Me Not To Buy Another Tube Amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmodder, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Well, as the title suggests, the gas is creeping in and I HAD to find something to buy. I have always loved to tinker with amps and tubes in general. However, I found this and the gas is killing me. I already rebuilt a 77’ Mcgohan 50 watt tube amp, bought a shuttle 6 and built a small cab for it.

The Mcgohan really sounds close to the shuttle (with a tube swap) and the shuttle fits my needs in every way.

Somebody PLEASE convince me not to buy another tube amp.

I have seen people on TB help others with chronic GAS before. Help me!:crying::crying::crying:

2. If you really love me you'll get another tube amp. There's a Plush 100 watter in the classifieds. How's that? :)

3. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    Please do not buy another tube amp.

Sincerely,

DaveF

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I too GAS hard for tube amps.
    I've been looking for low wattage tube heads for recording, and practice, low volume gigs.
    I'm lucky my wife is very understanding.

I have two amps, being made for me.
    One is a Collins Amplifier's 100 watt Head with matching 1x15 cab.
    For Gigs, and recording.

The other is a "BearPaw Amps" 25 watt. Head.
    For recording.

Tubes are where it's at for me.

5. :meh: I question your sincerity. :ninja:

6. Well, I dunno if this helps any but those old Bogens make amazing amps. Not to mention that most of the Bogen 12ax7's are actually Mullards so you can get cool tubes with your cool amp.
    To help you gas at the moment I will say that those amps are for sale on ebay all the time. No need to jump on this exact one as there will be more on there next week.

I'm a tube amp junkie myself...and a bit of an enabler.

:cool:

7. I can't think of a reason not to buy it!

8. Dude, you're getting older and tube amps are heavy. Think about your back and your nads. The older you are, the easier it is to get hurt. Go get yourself an LMII or a Shuttle.:bag::D

9. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Convince Me Not To Buy Another Tube Amp!
    No!
    You NEED it.
    You MUST have it.
    Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it.
    Tubes are good.

10. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    :smug: Haha,
    There's a joke at my company that if you don't know how to end a nasty/bad news email, just put "Best Regards" at the end.

11. I know those Bogens are good amps- look at the iron on some of those. I played the Mcgohan some more to remid me of what I already have. I could SO modify that tone circuit to a B15's...

I guess if they are that common, I should just hold off for a while.

I just worry about the the supply of "good" units running dry, prices going through the roof, and missing out on the one.

I make this sound like marriage.

"Do you, Bogen CHB100, take bassmodder to be your..."

...You may now kiss her tubes...

12. If you want a distortion monster that may flake, that's the amp for you. Its transformers are undersized and can't handle bass or high output well. It MIGHT do 100 watts at 1 kHz, but I wouldn't try to get it. I've got two that were given to me, one with a open OT from PA use that has a brand new quartet of 7868's in it. The MO series is the Bogen you want, if you want to make bass amp.

13. Don't buy another tube....for yourself

Buy one for me, I don't have one right now and would love a nice Ampeg SVT-VR =)

14. You are correct. If the tubes are ran at max (safe) you only get 80 watts.

I really value your advice on these matters Psycho, I will check out the MO series.

Thanks for saving me money.

15. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    I would never do that (tell you to NOT buy).

16. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The tubes they are precioussssssss. When I play through my Orange it makes me invisible; all that remains is the rumbling...

17. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Sorry, I just can't do it! LOL

18. + 10000000000000

19. I am going to take the Mcgohan that I built about a year ago to practice one of these days. 50 watts. I will have to keep an eye on the tubes as I can not set the bias any more negative than it already is. That's all she goes (-37V)... Those el34's sound nice though!

I think my gas will be cured once I have to mic the cab, adjust the mixer when my vol changes, etc...

I used the mcgohan at church once. I had the mic stuffed between a few of my college text books. Worked dreamy! It was SO dynamic and responsive to my playing.

Yet I love the simplicity of the shuttle I have. Di... Done.

20. Old school

Old school

Oct 30, 2004
    Life is a compromise. Buy a good tube preamp. Roll some mid 1960's tubes to find the right vibe and run it into the biggest Crown amp you can afford (K2's pop up on ebay and craigs list all the time). Best of both worlds and cheaper than rehabbing a mid 1960's Ampeg portaflex head.