Convince me to buy a MIM Jazz.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Sep 21, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I already have a MIM P and a fretless. I want to complete my arsenal with a MIM Jazz and call it quits. But I need some motivation to save up for one. So, convince me to buy a Jazz. Give me some reasons! For example, I already know the p bass got a thump, a fat bottom, ect., but tell me about the jazz! Where are the jazz bass owners?!! :bassist:

I play gospel, ska, punk, reggea, and classic rock! So give me a reason!!! :D

2. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    My advice, Save some money and buy yourself an SX. There's been quite a few debates about SX vs. MIM Fenders, but for my money the SX basses can't be beat.

www.rondomusic.net

With the $200-$300 you save by buying an SX over a MIM, you could afford some pretty nice upgrades (pickups, bridge, tuners) and still be under the price of a stock MIM with better electronics and hardware.

For my SX I paid:

$160 for the bass
    $20 for better pots
    $30 for Model J's
    $50 for a BAII
    $50 for MIA Hipshot tuners.

That's about $310 or so, roughly the same price as an MIM (IIRC) with MIA-quality parts. No contest, IMO. :D

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    If you really want MIM, check out an MIM fender 60's classic Jazz. These
    are among the best of the MIM jazzes IMHO. Go play some basses and
    you decide. Try rolling off the neck pup 60% and dropping the tone
    control about 40% while playing finger-style over the bridge pickup.

That sort of tone is what many jazz bass owners/players want. :D
    Warning, there is hum on most any Jazz, unless is has split-coils or
    some kind of hum canceling pups. :bassist:

4. I agree. Go for the 60's Classic. This bass gets all the classic Fender Jazz tones. It has a great growl and the pickups can be adjusted to suit any kind of music via the vol vol tone configuration. Backing the pick-ups towards the bridge results in a growly, almost nasal tone, whilst backing towards the neck results in a nice, smooth woody tone. The sound is a wonderful and rich. The finish on the sunburst is superior to all the other MIM's.

5. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve

Jul 30, 2006
    If you already have two 4 string basses, maybe consider a 5 string ? Comes in handy when you have to play a drop tuned song.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hey man, you know how I feel about 'em. Love 'em to death.

7. Simball

Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I got one last year for $300. sunburst, like new. a lot better than the squire i had been playing. try to get a used one, for obvious reasons. if you're gonna throw down almost $500 for a bass, i'd be lookin' into other options. just my 2 cents EDIT: a MIM classic 60's bass goes for $700 new???

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I've got two MIM Jazzes. Amazing basses.Try to find a used one.

9. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    cuz if you do you will be real cool :smug:

10. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Thanks guys. Also, my fretless is 5 strings. I need a jazz to complete my collection. So the SX is comparable to a MIM. I should stop down at rondos.

11. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    It's a standard Fender. The basic model fender makes. MIM stands for made in mexico!

12. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    a 1/4 turn rod adjustment and a new set of strings and you'll have a bass that plays like you spent $1000.

Buy It

GM

13. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Inactive

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Be careful to never advise anyone to buy a MIM V you might get pretty bad kharma...

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021