1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Convince me to keep my VT bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ShowKing, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Hello all,
    I've owned the VT Bass pedal for almost a year i think.
    I am using ampeg gear for my amps.

Lately I have been considering selling my VT bass pedal simply because it doesn't get used..
    The sound I'm getting out of my amp is good as it is and I feel like it doesn't need changing.

Any reason why I should hold on to this piece of equipment?

2. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Nope.

3. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    it makes a lot of distortion pedals sound better or at least different, so if you're a fan of that...

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Its made to do the Ampeg sound, you're using it through an Ampeg........ yeah, I see why its not getting used...

5. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    I used an Ampeg V4B (something like that) at a gig and it blew my mind. I bought the VT bass to drive and color my Peavey/SWR, and for that it is awesome. But if I had a tube head, I would never use it.

6. ccouch7

ccouch7

Feb 14, 2009
    Heard that, I've been experimenting with the VT in the LS-2 loop and with other pedals (Octave, Overdrive, BassBalls ect..) and have been finding some usable/trippy sounds. Although I don't use any SansAmp as an always on preamp anymore with the band, I like my amps preamp better.
    The VT (or the BassDriver) works good for direct recording which might be a reason to hold onto it, or not.

7. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Mail it to me, and I'll let you know if you should keep it.

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Don't use it? Dump it. Sell it and pay down a CC.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i use it as a soundman destroyer when they try to bust my balls about using a mic instead of a di. if you have no need for that, hey, sell it...not like it's going anywhere and you'll never get another one.

10. if you ever use the house bass amp and you want to dial in your own tone keep it if not then give it to me its much easier than getting someone to buy it and ill even pay shipping!

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    yeah, i'm sure you would. i love posts like this...a vt is $150 new. i'm sure someone who worked their ass off to be able to get one is just going to hand it over to you. why stop there? maybe he has a spare car laying around.

:D

12. It's good to have as a backup for when your amp craps out on you and you have to use a less-than-desirable amp or go direct.

It's good to use if you want to simulate a different Ampeg than the one you already have.

It's good if you want to be able to switch to a heavier or more overdriven sound within a song while still sounding like an Ampeg.

13. 7XL

7XL

Jul 23, 2009
    St Paul. MN
    Attractive doorstop.

14. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Add a headphone amp and you've got great Ampeg tone in a silent practice amp if you ever play late at night!

15. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    JimmyM is critical of the entire reason that I use Talkbass

Perhaps now I re-evaluate my life...

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    you use talkbass to weasel free stuff from people? ;) maybe you don't have to re-evaluate your life, but the purpose of talkbass is actually twofold and you should know it:

1. to get people to use the same gear you do and berate them if they don't

b. to get celebrity bass players to hate you

:D

17. I used to swear by my pedal preamp/tone shaper and then I learned to use the EQ on my bass amp..

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    you aren't seriously going to claim that if you know how to use the eq on your amp that an outboard preamp is useless, are you?

19. No, most definitely not but in my case it worked and out went a pedal.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    good. i had a feeling you were smarter than that ;) i will say in your defense, though, that the shortest distance between two objects is a straight line, and if you can eliminate unnecessary pedals, you're much better off.