Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Convince me to not buy this Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris4001asat, Jul 19, 2004.

1. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Major GAS going here. Brand new Sterling. Gold flake finish. Maple neck. Mother of Pearl pickguard. Unfortunately, no matching headstock :( It's been sitting in this small mom and pop store for a good 2 years. He'll sell it to me for 995

2. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I got nothing.

If it speaks to you, buy it.

3. If you're coming to this crowd for help in not buying bass gear, you are in bad shape!

FWIW, I never liked matching headstocks with maple boards anyway...

Mike

4. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Looks to me (from your profile) like you already have 4 basses. Do you really need a 5th? I mean, how many can you play at once anyway?

There, at least I tried....

:)

5. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Buy it !!!!!!!!! Love my blue sparkle with maple and matching headstock. The gold seems like a cool color !!

At $995 for a new Sterling, that's a steal. :hyper:

6. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Mike is right, TB stinks as a support group not to buy basses. I've filed bankruptcy 6 times because of these guys. That being said, if you don't buy it, you're pratically commiting a crime. How could you leave that poor, poor bass there all alone, nerdy kids playing it after school everyday, abused, neglected. Where is this thing? I'll buy it. BUY IT!!!!! BUY IT!!!!!!!!! :bassist:

7. Have you bought it yet?...if not, why not?!. :D

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I refuse to talk anyone out of buying a bass they clearly must have. ;)

9. Hi!

You have money? :)
    You strongly want it? :p

So...

GO TO BUY IT NOW!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
    Your crazy guy!!! A sterling at this price I would run now to buy it... :smug:
    And if you don't like, resale it more expensive than you bought it! (to a person you don't like, normal!!!) ;)

But asking to convince you there is a mistake! :rolleyes:
    I think over there, more than 50 bassists per day, try to avoid to make their GAS arriving at home!!! so....

Vince

10. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    I did buy my baby a new pair of shoes yesterday with my weekend gig money, so I can't use that excuse! First time I ever played a Sterling, never touched a Ray yet either. That neck did feel absolutely perfect in my hands though.

11. So, what are you going to do?
    Go there or I'll go for you.... ;)

Vince

12. I played one in Guitar Center last week. Although I love the Bongo, the humbuckers seem to be in the place where I pop when I am slapping & popping. Due to that, the Sterling may be next on my list. It's versatile, but you can also get that MM sound, along with a J-ish neck. which I prefer, IMO, they are great.

Well, I hope I talked you out of it.

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Bad point: its gold flake. boo hiss.

14. Just my $.02 - if it's really been there for so long, go in and make him an offer, maybe he'll negotiate with you. But I'm with them, if you have the jing, and you like it, and you'll play it some, then buy it!

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Through him a low ball offer. Maybe $800 or so. If he says no, no biggie. It has been there a while and he shouldnt be charging full retail price.

16. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    ..I have two Sterlings. For me, they are the best sounding, most comfortable basses in the world. One is trans green ash with maple board and clear guard, the other is carbon blue pearl with rosewood and black pearloid. They have distinctive sounds and personalities. They are GREAT basses.

That said (and now here comes the medicine) I bought my green one from Beaver Felton at Bass Central about two years ago for $1050 plus shipping. Now, prices may have gone up in the meantime a little.

However, I would advise you to think about what color you WANT and what wood sounds better to you--alder vs ash--and then call Gard for a quote. Maybe gold flake is your thing. But if it ain't, and it only cost you $100 more to get the EXACT bass you wanted, wouldn't that be worth it? Plus with BassCentral, the bass you buy has almost never been touched by human hands, and that's worth something, too.

17. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    I've always been a little conservative about my bass colors. Two are Black with white pickgaurds, and two are natural finishes with no pickguards. I think it's time for a little bling bling in my lineup.
    The next cheapest up was 130 bucks more at a much bigger store, so I think he's giving me a pretty good deal

18. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Not sure which wood type it was, but I was playing it through a peavey 15 and it sounded real good. I would imagine it would crush through my SWR rig.

19. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Chris,

Don't buy it! Nuff said... Why? Cause you TOLD us to talk you out of it...