convince me !

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Panic88, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Panic88

Jan 31, 2006
    Ok well I have been playing bass for a few years now, manly alternative and punk rock. Ive never had a need for effects or pedals or anything but lately i have been wondering about what is our there and how it can help my sound. Im really new to this realm so i would appreciate someone to break it all down for me as far as what could help my particular sound. Thanks a lot

2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Honestly, I think if you need to be convinced, you really don't need them.

I like some subtle modulation effects like Flangers or Phasers, and some chorus, maybe a bit of overdrive. I like a pretty simple bass sound, with a little bit of sparkle to it. If that's what you want, you're in the right place.

Where are you looking to go with your sound?
  3. I partially agree with tplyons, but another part of me says you should go and satisfy your curiosity!

Why not try and borrow some effects first? If you're buddy buddy with the music store guys they might let you take one or two overnight to try out on your own rig.

Suitable effects; Overdrive will have a big impact. Chorus and flanger are more subtle, but just as fun.
  4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    You could also get a Multi Effects unit. It will allow you to try out different effects and combinations. If after trying it out you don't feel that effects are your thing, you can use it as a headphone amp.