Convincing my parents

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by line1, Apr 6, 2005.

1. there is a '05 stinray on clearance at a local music shop for $740 and i have the money to get it. anyone have any good ideas for convincing my parents that i need to buy it sooner reather thatn later because of how fast a stinray should sell at that price. simple reasoning and the fact that i could sell it on ebay for well over 800 haven't worked.
  2. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    It's your money, no? Tell them this is a good lesson in financial decision making.
  3. An '05 on clearance? That was quick...
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ive known stingraysthat sold a few hours after the store got themm in stock./
  5. The "quick buck" thing never worked on my parents. I just tell them the truth. It's a really good value on a really nice instrument that you want really bad. Finding a way to compare it to a hobby of theirs may put it in perspective.

6. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    tell them that the only way you are getting a ray at that price is used, so you need to jump on it.
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Somethings fishy here, new stingrays NEVER go for that low, and used ones frequently sell for even higher.

A 2005 model on clearance in April? Fat chance. You sure its not an Ernie Ball Sub5 ???
  8. That's what I said...
  9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Well, a buddy of mine got a Spector Rebop last Xmass at GC
    for 400 so you never know.

Buyer beware, find out what it is.

My attitude ( as a sales guy ) is that it is better
    to ask for forgiveness than permission... YMMV.
  10. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission. :D

Edit: Damn Thor, beat me to it! :p
  11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

It is worth repeating!

I would have bought it, and talked my way out of it,
    even if I had to sell it at a profit to prove the point.
  12. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Thor-bought it sold at profit, bought probably 2 SUB5s for the money. ;)
  13. well, it's a good deal, but i don't know how i'd say you should be able to have it. hell, i still get the response of "what do you need it for? your not going anywhere" anytime i ask to use a credit card when i offer to pay them back
  14. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Not THAT fishy. I got a new SR5 on clearance for around $800.
  15. I would just go and buy it ;) i hate the question parent s always give you when u tell them ur gonna buy something.. What do you need a new bass for? whats wrong with the one uve got?.... they will never understand. i used to put it into perspective by comparing them cars. u could buy a cheap car and it would be poo to drive, little features, etc. or u could spend money on it, upgrading, or buy a more expensive car with air con, power steering, good fuel econ, faster, better acceleration, more responsive brakes, etc. Anyway, these days i just call them on the phone and TELL them that im buying it. You could also hide the receipt and make a deal with the sales person who sold it to you so that u cant take it back without the receipt, which u usually cant anyways. Good luck tiger, and may the force be with you

Chips :bassist:
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm really good at convincing parents, and I can make it a slam-dunk for you. But it's going to cost you twenty bucks. Are you down?
  17. here it is. thanx to all.
    do you like my mom's sheets??
  18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Either your mom sleeps on the floor, or you are standing on her bed.

19. standing on her bed. nice socks too.
  20. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    My thoughts too. It's funny how as part of financial management, parents instill the concept of THEY have control of how you spend your money. (Think of a starter bank account where parents are required to co-sign to withdraw.)

At some point you have to assert that YOU control YOUR money. Personally, I can't think of a better way to do this than buying a new bass!

Do either of your folks play electric bass or guitar ? Just as I thought; you have no way to explain the importance of action/string height, playability, sound quality. You might as well be speaking Greek as they could not tell the difference between a medium/high end bass and a Sears Silvertone special.

And even if they could; would they ? It's much more "parenty" to say "forget the Fender; keep your Silvertone and save your money."

In 1981 I was 16 and horrified my parents first by spending $600 on a Fender precision bass and then informing them that I was no longer going to discuss financial matters with them. I used that bass until last year. (I Ebay'd for three times what I bought it for as I became a Fender Jazz bass guy.)

making your own financial decisions and reaping the consequences; good or bad ; is part of growing up. No one is going to confer upon you this right to decide; you have to take it upon yourself.