Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Convincing parents that stacks aren't too "pro"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thebassist1234, Mar 2, 2006.

1. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    Hi i've been playing bass for only a year and a half but started with alot of music theory and experience and right now im in a band with some people from around my area and all of a sudden weve been getting alot better and getting alot more gig invitations that are coming up. My rumble isnt going to do it especially since its only 100 watts with a 15" and our guitarist has a 65 watt crate which despite how poor quality it is, its very loud. I've got a birthday coming up and i want to sell my rumble and buy a half/full stack if possible on ebay with that cash and some band money and parent's help. The thing is that they dont think i need it because i've only been playing for a while. So the question is, How long was it until you bought your first stack?:help:

2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    It was 3 years until I got my stack of Avatars. You may not even need anything that big though. Look into a 2x12 and a 300+ watt head.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Get on the Dean's list and your parents will buy you anything.

4. I don't think there is a right number of months or years you should wait until you get gig worthy equipment. Get it as soon as you can (if money isn't an issue). My situation was unique in that I played guit@r for 10 yrs before I got my first bass gig so I picked up a Peavey head and 2x15 cab right away.
    Anyway, welcome to the world of GAS (gear aquisition syndrome). Some of us are never satisfied with our gear no matter how many strides we have made. Just keep playing and pick up what you can. :bassist:

5. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    no money is not that much of an issue since ill prob sell my rumble, buy like a markbass or something on ebay, and then have my parents buy a cab for my birhtday or do it now and rent to buy till then

6. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    I agree with Muzik - it's not about how long you've been playing, it's about having the right tools for the job. If you can show your parents that you're serious about this, and explain to them in real terms why what you have isn't working, you can probably change their mind.

I would also recommend that you don't come out of the gate with a mondo stack - that'll turn them right off. I also wouldn't spend a ton of money - it's really unlikely that your first round of gear will be what you end up sticking with for very long. I would put most of your money towards a decent sized head - at least 300watts, and a simple cab, like a 2x10 from Avatar, or one of the Aguilars they've been blowing out at Musician's friend for $200.

7. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    on that note (no pun intended) what should i buy?

8. I remember that (back in the day) it was hard enough trying to convince my parents that bass strings had to be changed from time to time!:D
    Had to mow alot of lawns to get the cash for a set of new Rotos back then..

Mag...

9. Well, this should be easy.
    Tell your mother that pros doesn't use stacks, because they don't care for carrying all that stuff around. Tell her pro's always play trough a good PA, and only need a good DI and small amp/monitor.

10. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    What's your price range, and what style of music are you guys playing?

11. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    I agree that all you'll probably need is a good half stack (410, 212, etc) and a head that puts out 300 watts. Tell your folks that you'll get all your homework done on time, visit grandma, do some odious chore (like clean your room regularly :eek: or do the dishes every other day) and then actually do all those things!

Then look into GK, Hartke, Peavey, or Ashdown heads (people on here can probably recommend some more good inexpensive gigging heads) and some inexpensive cab (like Avatar, Peavey or the like)... do your homework on what you want by reading stuff on the internet, searches on this forum, and go out and try them out. Then present your folks with all this wealth of knowledge. They just be impressed enough to let you get what you want.

12. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    hmm good ideas from all of you but whats the point of getting your homework done if im going to grow up to be a musician anyways? haha jk i have to go to college first lol

the price range is as cheap as possible so prob around 500 more or less depending on whats on ebay.

we play mostly alternative/indie/punk and im getting more into jazz (i dont need a huge rig for that my practic amp will work for now) and i want something that sounds hifi but with alot of punch and tone unlike my rumble which just sounds flat and boring even after eqing for an hour. A few bands that we sound like are death cab, interpol, nada surf, stars,the cure, all that stuff

13. I tinkered around with guitar for a few years. Then I got an offer to play bass in a band. I went out and bought a Squier bass and Ampeg BA-115 amp right away. I decided that bass was the instrument for me, so I went out the next week and got an Ampeg SVT-CL and Ampeg SVT-610HLF.

If you want to play in a band you need the right tools. It doesn't matter how long you've been playing for.

14. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    well ive already gone through a few amps so i think thats why they are a little weird on it.

15. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    o yeah we are all 14 if that helps lol

16. For a cab I think the Avatar B212 delta is the best bang for the buck (that I've tried or owned). It's under $300, sounds great in just about any situation, and can handle a lot of power (900 watts and countiing).

17. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    i would actually rather buy used just because a. i love stuff that has a story behind it b. cheaper

18. If you want a good story and a good deal I can't think of a better place than the Talkbass classifieds! :D

19. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    +1 great deals, great people to deal with...

20. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    *note to self-these people are trying to sell something on the classifieds list* haha jk ill check it out