Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cookie Monster bands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Suburban_punk, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Suburban_punk

Suburban_punk

May 13, 2003
    Denver
    Mods,
    Can I get away with this one?

I personally don't like them.
    Anyone else?

2. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    what are you talking about?

3. Suburban_punk

Suburban_punk

May 13, 2003
    Denver
    The first band that comes to my head is.
    Cannibal Corpse.

I watched "Uranium" the other nite. Not sure if you get that show on Fuse.

But those Bands are pretty poopy.
    I guess folks say the same about punk?

4. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I'm still a little confused as to what you mean by cookie monster bands. You mean bands that scream all the time or something like that?

5. Suburban_punk

Suburban_punk

May 13, 2003
    Denver
    Yes or sound like they're barking into the microphone.

6. Yeah, I agree. It's kind of a shame too, because many bands like this feature talented musicians that make the instrumental portion of their music quite appealing to me. To me, the vocals really seperate the good metal bands from the mediocre or crappy ones.

7. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Alright, i get you. Yeah, there was this band that opend for AFI recently, called Most Precious Blood. I heard absolutly nothing original sounding... actually... i couldn't hear anything at all. I heard maybe two chord changes the whole time. And the lead singer just screamed in the same note the whole time... The only lyrics i caught were "Kill me, i want to die, kill me cause i want to DIIIIEEEE!!" after about ten minutes of that i was about to hop on stage and accomadate him. The drummer was good though. so yeah... cookie monster bands... dont like 'em.

8. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    There's a cookie monster band who has a "song" called "My Favorite Black Metal band is Living Colour". The group has a name that propriety and good taste prevent me from mentioning here.

High art. Much better than the Beatles:rolleyes:

9. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    Judging a whole genre by judging 1 band is pretty weak. Its like slagging all pop after hearing Britney Spears.

Check out some other bands who are far better :

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/473/suffocation.html
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/10/amon_amarth.html
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/7/cryptopsy.html - cold hate warm blood
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/411/cynic1.html - veil of maya
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/236/depresy.html - unpure romanticism
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/125/martyr1.html - warp zone
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/10/the_crown.html

there are various degrees in how growly theese bands are so you should be able to get a decent view on the subject. But check out Gorguts, Cryptopsy (with Lord Worm).

10. I have to agree with ya'll... As much as I really hate that kind of music, I do hear some good things; In flames for example. I LOVE Only For The Weak, Clayman & World Of Promises, but I think most of the rest of their music is pants.

I guess it's easier to dismiss than to say what you think - There will always be an exception to every band; a song you may even like a little...

11. I have to agree, THEY SUCK

I know I'm going to get flamed by all the young'uns here, but I do not care if the band is as musically talented as Dream Theater. The minute I hear "cookie monster" vox, it completely turns me off. It goes through me like nails on a chalk board. And while I'm ranting......same thing goes for bands with DJ's. The minute I hear scratching, I just dismiss them. What a waste. If you want another band member, bring in someone who actually has musical talent that can add something to the song other than a needle on a record.

12. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    So what bands have you heard?

If you think that it takes no talent to do growly vocals then feel free to record yourself doing the vocals to Open Face Surgery by cryptopsy.

Listen to the bands I posted and maybe you'll learn something.

13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Or check out Opeth.

14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yet another reason to start an argument...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

15. nobody sounds more like the cookie monster than matt freeman of rancid. and his songs rule.

16. Napalm Death was a great band when MJ Harris was still behind the drum kit. I always liked Godflesh and Fudge Tunnel too.

17. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'd love to see john anderson do a duet with a cookie monster - much the way marshall mathers and elton john did their duet :) . or geddy lee, though anderson's medlodies would work better. no! michel jackson and a cookie monster. that would rule!

i've heard many a great, great bands who i felt threw away their talent with a cookie monster front man. to me it sounds so fraudulent, unauthentic, over acted, and silly. if one person did it in all of time i'd think it was clever and creative, but cuz so many people do it - i don't know. it makes me laugh, literally. i can't take those bands seriously. i'm surprised the style has lasted as long as it did.

gotta say, while it's also not my style i've seen some record scratchers that absolutely astounded me. THAT, for some reason i respect as they've taken a non instrument and turned into really great rhythem thing - if they know what they're doing.

18. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    A lot of times, discussions like this can be summed up in one way: "My noise is better than your noise". Some people cannot wrap their minds around the fact that other people's aesthetics don't match their own and move on.

I'll get up on a platform and holler about how much I think death metal is jive, and then get into my car and listen to Ives or Allan Holdsworth and love it. Frankly, Ives and Holdsworth are two of many that create pretty challenging music that can possibly grate a lot of unititiated ears. Speaking objectively, can it be said that one challenging genre is somehow "Better" than the other?

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I mean, to say I'm wasting my time, shoot, I could say whenever I hear a samba, I kick the song right off, or a string section, congas, or clean guitars.

Just because a person doesn't like it, and "dismisses" it, doesn't invalidate or validate anything.

Nothing is "wasted."

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'll hear that. For some reason, people seem to be under the impression it doesn't take talent and training to do metal style vocals. Try shouting for 45 minutes straight, and see if you don't go hoarse, or simply cannot. Now try that every night. And I'm being gracious with 45 minutes. What about guys like Dark Traquility, with a fairly large library of material. They'd be doing a 2 hour set, me thinks. It's not a talentless form of expression. Just different.