1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cool 70s Bradley micro P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DocTT, Sep 24, 2018.

1. DocTT

DocTT

Apr 22, 2018
    I picked up a Bradley micro p-bass (24.5" scale) for a micro price ($50). It even came in a leather fitted soft bag. Bradley was a house brand of Veneman's Music chain of stores (MD. and VA.). They also sold via mail-order from their Emporium Catalog.

The bass is very small (pictured next to my G&L for scale). It's made in Japan, and the build quality is great. I took it completely apart after the photo and it cleaned up like new. It's a solid wood body (no idea of the wood). It weighs about 6 lbs. The neck, frets and fingerboard are great, and the relief was perfect at purchase. That was a "relief," (sorry), as I initially thought it had no truss rod, but I found it when I removed the neck. The pots and pickup wiring is neat, and the solder is excellent. Even the pots seem substantial. The tuners, however, are the same crap nuggets found on most Japanese brands of the time. They hold tune well, but finding the "in-tune" spot means negotiating an extremely tiny space. The sound is very nice and as one might expect: fat, tubby, p-bass. Stings appear to be old HUGE half-rounds. The size, I guess, is for better tension. Anyway, it's tiny fun!

Bradley.

reddog, Bass V, Bugeyed Earl and 3 others like this.
  2. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    I have no use for such a thing, but for $50 I wouldn't have blinked before taking out my wallet! Looks fun!

DocTT, SlimS and 48thStreetCustom like this.
  3. KB5

KB5

Sep 28, 2012
    For $50 I would have jumped on it too. Nice!

DocTT likes this.
  4. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Pretty sure Bradleys were also sold under the D'mini brand.

5. Cool score! I found a similar bass earlier this year in a pawn shop, I couldn't pass it up either :) Mine is unbranded, and has a slightly different headstock, but it's pretty close otherwise. Lots of fun to play!

XoB7DnY0lYxNtREirLr6jSj7Oqpe_AXFrpo_Ez-xoj2R2Cn4kLLTqg_x4NbkNnADRiT7OUdV_v1iaBdSAtc=w710-h946-no.

DocTT and Bass V like this.
  6. Joe Dart pulls one of these out fairly regularly:

DocTT likes this.
  7. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    and you have one less fret, different tuners, bridge, body shape