1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cool bass amp surprise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hasbeen, Aug 29, 2007.

1. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    Just messing around last night, I dug out an old Music Man 130HD Reverb....guitar amp.

I plugged it into a bass cabinet to experiment with the application. Man...it sounded wonderful.

I was playing quite a bit of 6 string bass through it. Now, I don't think that at 100+ watts, there's much live performance application for me but for recording, it sounds great.

This amp has a bright/normal switch and a depth switch. There's so much natural depth that I kept that switch off.

2. Bailie

Bailie

Mar 11, 2006
    I have an Evans JE 200 guitar amplifier that I some times play through when I’m working out bass parts and I love the way it sounds. I know I run the risk of exciting some people by bringing up Carol Kaye but I think I’ve read some where that she used a guitar amplifier on some of the sessions she played in the 60’s.

3. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution

yes...she did. I messed around with this amp as a bass amp back in the very, early 80's but hadn't gone back to it since then. Plus, I was running it through a guitar 4x12 cab back then.

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    My BF Princeton Reverb makes a great bass amp with the appropriate speakers. Not real loud but superb for recording. :hyper:

5. The AMpeg V4B is 100w & all tube 100w is pretty good for MOST live stuff-depending on what U play & how loud I s'pose, BUT if U could add a decent & efficient BASS cab she'd be a LOVELY sound!!!!!!