Cool bass on e-bay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JP Basses, Jan 8, 2003.

1. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
  2. Looks like something JT would appreciate if it had 20 more strings:eek:

Not my thing, though.

3. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Yes I saw that yesterday... I would really enjoy that bass if it had 2 fewer strings
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Same here. At any rate, it's too rich for my blood.

The one turnoff for me is the acoustic guitar style bridge. It's aesthetically pleasing but not the best thing for intonation...
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Where's Woodchuck?

Doesnt he own a couple of these?

6. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Yep, I think a couple of tbers own an Eshenbaugh bass. Wood chuck is one of them.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Mark came to one of the TB Get Togethers in Atlanta. Nice guy, and a helluva player.

I don't dig the headstock too much (too big and birdlike for my tastes), but I give him credit for doing something different.

The basses play like butter, though. And, I have no idea how he gets the weight down so low.
  8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I really like it. Im with Blackbird in that it's a little too steep in price for me. Im gonna watch it and see if it sells. If not, I may contact the seller and see if I can negotiate a private sell. Being only 3 hours from Atlanta I could go pick it up myself.
  9. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    It's mighty tempting. It looks nice. I was contemplating a 6 or 7 string in that price range. The downer is that I'm certainly not buying it from someone with a "0" rating.
  10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That's a really nice looking bass.
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    niomosy: He's actually a great guy. The only reason why it's for sell, is that his arthritis has gotten really bad. This is the only time he's ever sold on ebay I think.
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Very spiffy bass.
  13. Part of his weight savings comes from his extremely thin bodies. 1 1/8" from what he told me at the get-together. Thinner than that and he can't get the current crop of electronics in the cavity. I got ahold of Soybase's 5'er and and the "butter" adjective comes to mind but doesn't really do it justice.

His necks are an interesting mix of "set" and "neckthru". All of his laminations have thin accent layers glued into the stack so that the differences between the woods are accentuated even more. Very pretty and very easy to play.
  14. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
  15. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Carl taught the lad well! He's an amazing player as well.
  16. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    What are the tonal properties of bobinga?
    But he does sound like a good louthier.

That is one nice lookin bass though!
  17. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Hell, it comes with a Lether Eshenbaugh strap too. ;)

Bummer about the arthritis, but I'm sure it will find a good home. It is a very unique and beautiful bass.
  18. To answer a few questions,

Concerning intonation, you can't tell from the pictures, but the bridge is not static, but movable, like an archtop guitar bridge. Also, there are threaded brass inserts with angled "saddle" tops, which adjust fine intonation string to string.
    Concerning Seller's ebay rating, I spoke to him the day after he put the bass up for sale, and I can personally vouch for his ability to deliver. I may even buy the bass back if it doesn't sell, with the intention of sending it to Luthiers' Access Group for advertisement. I happen to be privy to the seller's reserve, and after Saturday, that particular bass will not be available for that price again.
    Concerning number of strings. 4 thru 8 string models are also available :)

Mark Eshenbaugh
    Eshenbaugh Guitars
  19. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    ya know, I really never would have guessed that he studied with CT...;)

That is one fine looking horn !
  20. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    If that had 2 less strings I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.
    Mark is a top notch guy and his quality is damn near the best I've seen. I own, and owned one and they really do play like butter...Even with small hands, which i was blessed with, you can play these forever without fatigue or cramping.

Someone please buy this if Mark doesnt buy it back..