Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cool bass the DB guys wont look at...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jon223, Jan 6, 2004.

1. check this thing out
    www.konawalkingstick.com
    It looks awesome, i figured the EB fellas would take to it better than the DB guys. I posted there too and theres no real hope for a response in that forum.
    Nylon strings, cheap bass and the strings are only 15 a set. looks like an economical way to get that DB sound.
    Whaddyas think?
    Sounds pretty good to me on the clips.
    Looks nice too. Koa and mango are sure purdy.

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Cool! Do you know what the scale length is?

3. fishy

fishy Guest

Dec 13, 2002
    courtice, Ontario
    it looks like a 2x4

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Looks interesting, love the wood and the cat in the picture is pretty hip too....

[​IMG]

But it sounds/looks a little 'Wishy'...

The prices are a little steep for what they are IM'h'O.

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'm a doubler. It seems a bit odd to me. I'd rather spend a bit more money and get a real EUB if i wanted a smaller version. :) YMMV . :bassist:

6. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    anybody here have one? im interested in reviews of it

7. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I could make one of those myself. Probably just like those if I got some Koa. In fact, once I get a little workshop going, I WILL make one. Then sell a bunch of them for 10 times the price they were made for. :D

8. well, if i actually go for it, i am seriously considering a slack key tuned one. I play ukulele and lots of hawaiian music. Im not looking for a Eminence/BSX style EUB, because i dont need that kind of precision and arcoable action, and i really like the price of the strings, and the relatively low pricing on this one. I dont know of any other EUBs that are this cheap. Plus, i gotta support the uking crowd. They need it.
    Theres also no way in hell for me to get a DB teacher in my area, and even if there was, i wouldnt be able to pay for it, and my parents aren't very supportive of my musical interests. They paid for my sisters piano lessons, but they wont let me take on some kind of standard instrument, like DB or cello or viola, etc.
    But before i start to rant.
    Im out.

9. bizzump. I really want some real thoughts/reviews on this one.
    Hopin someone has played it.

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I really want some real thoughts/reviews on this one.

I have a drummer buddy on Maui who plays Jahwaiian with some uke dudes. It wouldn't work for that, but I'll bet he's at least heard one. I'll email him and ask.

11. great. Jawaiian's good stuff. Way better than the same old vaudeville/novelty/"contemporary" hawaiian (which is more bad late 70s-mid 80s crap than anything contemporary). Uke needs more variety. Its become a novelty instrument because of all the crappy, weak music out there.

12. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    why not just make one for yourself? It really doesnt look too hard, and $550 bucks for a 4string is way too pricey. Not to say its just a big plank with strings on it, but it is....

13. yeah, thats a good idea, but, im already planning on making my own electric ukulele. Thats gonna take up my homemade instrument needs for now.

14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone else see the amazing similarities? :D

15. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Mike N,

CATZ!!!
    :D

j

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's like some weird kind of before and after photo!!

So - you could say that the bottom photo is all those basses when they were comfortable and well-fed - then the top one is after they have been starved for 6-months - this is what their emaciated skinny bodies looked like!!

Alternatively the guy on top is saying - thse puny matchsticks were turned into the sumptuous beauties you below through my miracle product "BassGrow" ©

Just add a cup a day and you will get this amazing result!! :D

17. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Sally Struthers rescue case, right?

:D

18. Konabob

Konabob Konaweb LLC

Jan 9, 2004
    Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
    I am the skinny guy who makes the skinny bass stick. I have been really enjoying reading this thread. 'specially the picture of the cats...

The scale length is 37 inches. I don't know how to play a real bass with 4 strings, I made these basses up as a way for an acoustic steel guitar guy to play bass in a pinch...
    (I am mostly a steel guitar guy... http://www.konaweb.com/konabob)
    When I started playing my slack key bass at gigs, people started asking me to make them one... then they wanted 4 string basses... sheesh, I never meant to become an instrument maker!

47 basses later, I am still happy as a clam playing slack key style on a 3 string bass. Jawaiian does work, only you can't do some of the fancy stuff that you can on a 4 or 5 string bass... hey, I'm a simple guy.. most Hawaiian music is not that fancy, I love playing uptempo swing and bluegrass.

Here in Hawaii, a lot of musicians travel by plane. I have had 3 friends lose DBs to United Airline cargo gorillas. When I fly with my stick bass, they don't even know it's a musical instrument as the gig bag makes it look like a fishing pole or maybe a single golf club.

Anyway, just wanted to thank you all for at least looking at my site. Have enjoyed some nice emails from this group.

If you ever get to Kona, look me up. I do play my stick bass at gigs - The Kona Brew Bub is the easiest place to catch me.

-Aloha
    Konabob

19. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I still think that aborting Conklin
    fetuses should be made illegal.

*!* Gives me a great idea of what to do with
    the extra Weedeater String refill I have in the
    shed. *!*

Konakabob, I have seen your site before, I think
    it was last year, and enjoyed your work.
    Keep groovin' dude!