Cool basses, without breaking the bank.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric Killinger, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Yeah, I cant explain it.

I've been using sx's for awhile now, and I wanted to know what I could go for in looks without spending upwards of 300 dollars.

Anyone got suggestions?
  2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Can't go wrong with a Fender!

3. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Peavey Millennium BXP

Pretty good basses for an OUTSTANDING price.

$219 for the 4-string
    $239 for the 5-string

Check out this thread
  4. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    TBC basses look pretty cool for low dollars.
  5. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    There's a Tokai Hard Puncher on the bay right now. Always heard good things.
  6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

How big is your bank? All depends on that

7. Is the SX a good bass? ..if yes, then save up a little longer, your choices will be more vast, and you'll likely be happier in the long run....
  8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Not much happens between SXs and MIM/MIJ Fenders. BBXXX Yammies?
  9. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    I've got a Tokai Hard Puncher. They play, look and sound every bit as good as a 70's (depending on the model) P-Bass at a fraction of the price. From everything I have read and based on my experience with two of them, they are as good or better than the basses they copied.
  10. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. I'd save up until I had around $700-800 to spend. There are some good new basses (Fender Geddy, Musicman SUB) at that price, and some very good used basses for that kind of money. One can find used Musicman Stingrays, MIA Fenders, Rics, and Lakland Skylines for $800. Options abound for great basses when you have that much to spend.

Until then, I'd just play the heck out of the SX. By the time you've saved up the $800, you'll be ready to really rock out with a quality instrument.
  11. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Check out the Conklin Groove Tools series. They don't make them anymore, but you can sometimes find them used. Mine had the first run of preamps made by mighty-mite, and I did a 2 dollar upgrade that made it sound amazing.
  12. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Let me tell you a buddy of mine has several Tokai Les Paul copies. They are better than Gibsons. I tryed a Tokai Jazz bass once and it was just as good if not better than a Fender.
  13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Plus a zillion. These things will KILL the SX. .... Of course they're twice the price of the real cheap SXes.... They're also twice the bass.
  14. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I've heard a lot of good things about the Yamaha BB414. You can get one new for $399.99 at MF.
  15. clayton

Jun 26, 2005
    Check out the Yamaha RBX series. They are pretty decent basses for their price.
  16. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yamaha BB series is awesome. All of what you want and none of what you don't at a great price point. $400 to $500

BB414 or BB614
  17. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I don't mean to correct you but they are more than twice the bass :D