Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cool Cat 9.6 volt vs. 18 volt

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by embellisher, Apr 28, 2005.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Anybody have experience with both versions of this pedal?

I have the 9.6 volt version, and it is one of the best chorus stompboxes for bass that I have ever found.

I have read a few posts where people implied that the 18 volt version is superior.

Is it true, or do I just have pedal envy?

How hard is it to find the 18 volt power supplies? I know where I can get the 18 volt pedal, if it is better, but it doesn't have a power supply.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Cool. So the power supply is readily available. Now to find out if the 18 volt is any better than the 9.6 volt.

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Well me and DavidMWilson have been talking alot about Chorus pedals recently and he sent me a clip of his Analogman Mini Chorus and I have to say is an amazing chorus. So I sent him a clip back of my 18v cool cat chorus and to me I prefered the cool cat but the tone is pretty similar I feel. Toasted also has these clips and he feels that both are really really nice. I'm sure both will chime in. Dave hasn't got back to me with his thoughts yet, he's probably still laughing at my chavy playing (Private joke)

I'll happily send you a copy of my 18v cool cat clip, the playing is really really bad. I'll have to send it when I get home tonight but add me to AOL messenger or somthing and I'll send as soon as I get in.

I use one of those dunlop dc power bricks that has 3x 18v outs on it works perfectly with the cool cat.

I also know where there is a NOS 18v Cool Cat Chorus in the UK but with the exchange rate would cost you like 140-150 dollars

So in my eyes the 18v cool cat is one of the best chorus's out there and I'm sure you will prefer it to the 9v version, it just seems that little bit more lush.

Hope this helps